Chapter 19

Alex's P.O.V

Nero spent the next half hour trying to convince me to tell him who kidnapped me, but I couldn't. I didn't want to break up their family. In the end his mother did it to protect him. She feels like I'm not good enough for Nero, and maybe I'm not. I haven't done anything with my life, I've just worked in a library. Plus I'm just a human, I don't know anything about dragons or how things work here. I'm trying to learn but there's so much information and so little time.

I laid curled up in the bed next to Nero who was running his fingers through my hair. It felt so weird to be finally home, to be back with Nero. I loved being near him but I don't want to get too attached again. What will happen if his mother finds another way to get kidnapped me? It will be twice as hard, I don't think I will be able to handle it again.

I don't know how long I was laying there but my stomach decided to break the silence by sounding like a dying whale.

"Well I guess I better get you some food or your stomach will eat itself." Nero joked getting up from the bed. I didn't want him to leave me but I couldn't get the words to come out of my mouth. I sighed rolling over to stare out the windows. I know isn't me, yes I was never one to be very outspoken but I was never this quiet. I know Nero is upset I haven't said much since being back but I can't help it. I just can't seem to get the words to come out. I slowly got up from the bed going over to the window. I loved being able to feel the sun on my skin again, to hear the birds chirping, to smell the flowers. Only when something is taken from you by force can you realize how much you miss it.

Just as I was about to push the window open to feel the breeze the bedroom door opened. I thought it was Nero so I turned around with a smile on my face but it instantly fell. There in the door way stood his mother looking just a shocked as I felt.

"How the hell did you get out?!" She screamed racing over to me. I tried to run away but she ended up grabbing my by the back of my shirt throwing me across the room. I cried out as my back slammed against the wall. I curled up into a ball, the only thing I could focus on was that my back was flaring in pain and my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest.

"I knew I should have killed you in the beginning. Vermin like you always find a way to weasel your way back in." She snarled stalking her way over to me. I attempted to shuffle away but the pain was too much. Ameril grabbing me by the neck pick me off the floor. I chocked, clawing at her hand trying to pull myself free. Just as I was about to pass out Ameril's hand was pulled off my neck and I dropped to the floor gasping for air.

"How dare you come in here and hurt my mate!!" I heard Nero's voice boom across the room. As my vision slowly came back I saw him strangling his mother. What the hell is with this family and choking people?

"Nero! Nero stop!" I yelled slowly pulling myself off the floor stumbling my way over to him grabbing his forearm trying to pull him off Ameril.

"Why should I? She was trying to kill you." He snarled squeezing his hand harder.

"She's your mother! You can't just kill her! Please let her go!" I cried again pulling harder. I heard Nero growl before he left his mother drop to the floor. As he wrapped me in his arms he called out in his dragon language. Two guards came in picking Ameril off the floor and cuffing her hands behind her back.

"Oh baby are you ok? She's the one who kidnapped you isn't she?" I nodded my head nuzzling into his chest not wanting him to see me cry. He rubbed my back as he lead us to the bed sitting down placing me on his lap.

"Don't worry she won't be able to hurt you anymore. I'm so sorry I didn't realize this any sooner. I should known she would do something like that." Nero mumbled kissing my forehead and nuzzling my hair. I shrugged, there really wasn't anything he could have done to stop this. Hell even I didn't think his mother would stoop so low as to kidnap me herself. Then there was Articus, one of the few people I thought was my friend but I guess I was wrong. I shouldn't be as shocked as I am, I never had friends, anyone who was my 'friend' ending up just leaving me. They made new friends, started hanging out with them more and more, then almost completely forgetting me. I hate always being alone but I would rather be alone then being up all night surrounded by people who ignore me and constantly talk about inside jokes. I guess I'm meant to be by myself. Well other than Nero of course, he's the light at the end of the tunnel for me. The only one I truly trust, the one person who will never leave me.

I snuggled deeper in Nero's hold allowing myself to fall into a light sleep. I just hope whatever problems that might occur from here we can work through them.

----------------------

Well guys Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy new year. I hope you guys were safe and had fun with your family and friends. Thank you for all the comments I love reading them and how they make me laugh. Emilyjoy231 I hope you liked that I put a spin on your idea and his chapter is dedicated to you. Thanks for the idea!