Chapter 26

He...he wanted to marry me? I felt tears in my eyes as I stared at the doors he so angrily slammed shut. I walk in, and cry harder when I see rose petals on the shiny hardwood floor. I follow them unhurriedly, to a room I don't recognize. It's so red, and the heart shaped bed in the middle is spinning at a slow pace.
"Iain!", I yelled running upstairs.
I pushed on the study door. Locked. I knock softly
"Iain?"

"What!" The reply came harsh and spiteful. It was unlike any tone I've ever heard before from him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. I didn't mean to trigger you, I honestly don't know what you heard-" Getting choked up I clutch the box closer to my heart.
It was silent for a moment, then I heard a loud scream.

"Goddamnit, you bitch! I love you, why can't you understand! You don't love me, you have never loved me! You don't even LIKE ME!",

I back away as I hear a series of loud crashes. He's breaking things in his study.

"Iain!", I shake the door knob, my heart beating faster. "I do love you, it's not unrequited!"

I hear soft pads on the floor, and I turn to see Lilli standing there, holding her teddy bear.
"What did you do?!", she cried.
It was awful. I listened to Iain's heartbreaking cries of anger, and I stared at Lilli, tears falling from her beautiful blue eyes. He was having an hallucination. I didn't say anything after I finished my meal and asked if he was alright. He's not taking his medicine. Again.

2 hours later

It was now 12 am, and Iain still hasn't come out of his study. Lilli and I have set up camp outside of the door, she has fallen asleep but I am still much awake. This is all my fault, I will never forgive myself for this. If I just hadn't been so stupid as to actually-
If I just hadn't been stupid. Stupid. I don't deserve Iain. He's been nothing but good to me and this is what I do, my heart breaks a little more as I recall his reaction out on the patio. His face was one of disbelief, he couldn't believe me. Even if it wasn't me actually talking, something triggered him, something in that moment. I shouldn't have come. I should've stood my ground and never made the mood. I know this can't possibly be all my fault but it was hard not to blame myself right now.
I lean against the door as I tried to get him to come out or at least let me in.
I've been hearing him talk to himself but I don't know the condition he's in.

"Iain? Iain.....Iain please open the door, I need to know if you're okay....",

Aaliyah leaned against the study door, sliding down, she started to cry once again. Looking down at the velvety box that held the ring she saw her own tears fall on it.
Leisurely she laid on the floor, closing her eyes, trying to think of a different way to get into the study.

I stared at the 8 ball in my hand, ready to be inside me. Begging for admittance. Hearing Aaliyah outside the door made me want to do it again, even more. The pleas were too enticing, making me feel like I needed it. I didn't hear her anymore and I don't think I ever want to again.
I poured the bag out completely on my desk. Grabbing my wallet I got out my American Express Platinum card. Perfect to cut with. I felt relieved. This has always worked for me, I needed relief now. I'm doing more than I ever have before, but I was too buzzed to realize it may have been too much but though I kind of knew, I just didn't care. I felt the jolt after 1 line, that brief clarity of mind was all that mattered right now. I felt on top of the world.
I heard the door to the study being unlocked and opened, I also heard someone calling my name.
My hearing began to become low and my vision, dim. Then all I heard was silence and all I saw was darkness.

Finding what I've been looking for, I rushed back up to the study and inserted the skeleton key inside, unlocking the door. What I saw when I opened the door ripped my heart into a hundred pieces. I pushed back Lilli so she wouldn't see.
"IAIN NO!",
I ran, catching him before he could fall to the floor. Holding his head up I shook him trying to wake him.

"No no no no, Iain please wake up. Wake up please no.",

I put my head to his chest, hearing his accelerated heart beat, yet seeing his already bluish lips. Reaching into his pocket I grabbed his phone, dialing the only person that knew him better than he knew himself.
"Hello?",

"Julia? I need your help! Please come quick! Iain has overdosed."