Chapter 38

Iain's POV

"Aaliyah?", I tried one more time before hanging up.

'That's weird, she always answers.'

"Is everything alright?" My long time best friend, Dan Tierney asked. We've been best friends since I was fresh out of Business Management and him, Law School.

"Yeah...let's get this bouncy house up. Tell my dad the grill is on the deck.",

Shaking the sinking feeling I had in my stomach, I pretended to feel better and set up.
Taking the air blower, I connected the tube to the bouncy house's inlet and then left it to fill up with air. It would automatically stop when finished.
Next, I went inside to fetch the white and pink balloons to manually fill with air. Sitting down on the living room love seat I unpackaged the rubber and started blowing.

Walking by was Aaliyah's mom Shirley and my mom, Julia.

"Hey dear, do you need some help?", my mom asked
I gave an inquisitive eye, I thought they hated each other.

"Oh you go help with the food, we'll take care of this.", my soon to be step mom said.
Not saying a word, I tied the balloon I had in my hand with a string and let it float to the floor. Getting up, I walked out to the deck to help my dad grill.

Once I stepped out, a whiff of charcoal and smoky wood hit my nose.

Feeling my presence I suppose, my dad greeted me without turning around.

"Hey Son.",

Putting on gloves to prepare the meat, vegetables and fruit I returned the gesture.

"Dad.",

Unwrapping the green peppers and zucchini bread, I placed them on the cut board next to the grill, chopping them up into tiny pieces. Then, I got out the cauliflower, rice and beans. Mashing the said ingredients together, I made a circle like shape and sat the made vegan burgers next to the grill for grilling.

My dad gave me a bizarre look when we made eye contact.
I told him one word to explain.

"Vegetarians.",

Understandably nodding his head, he flipped a hot dog.

"Make sure you clean the grill before grilling the fruits and vegetables. Meat first." I reminded

"Yeah yeah, I'm 56, not stupid.", my dad joked

Chuckling to his lame humor I replied with a
"Couldn't tell.", before taking off the gloves and looking at my watch.

3:56 PM
Aaliyah should've been here by now with Angela and her other friend Ginger.

Walking back inside, I went straight to the kitchen for the house phone. Looming through the recent calls, I pressed
'Angie'
Only 2 rings went by before she picked up.

"Aaliyah where are you?!",
I scrunched up my face in confusion.
"Angela, it's Iain. Aaliyah hasn't picked you up?",

I heard Angela huff and say something inaudible to someone in the background.

"No! She's ten minutes late! I've been at this airport for two hours waiting for Ginger and now she's late. We're catching the train! She's not even answering her phone.",

I don't know why but I got worried, real worried. Aaliyah isn't one to ignore, she always answers.

"I'll call you back.", Hanging up on Angela before she could get out another complaint I dialed Aaliyah's digits.

It rung five times before going to voicemail.

"This is Aaliyah, sorry I'm not available right now. Leave your name and number, I'll get back to you!",

I redialed again. And again. I don't know how many times I stood there trying to reach her but with each replay of the voicemail message I got concerned. I got desperate.
Slamming the home phone down on the counter I grabbed my car keys off the wall hook.

Advancing to the front door I heard someone knock on it, opening the glass-wood crafted door I saw the friends of Lilli and their parents with gifts in their hands.
The parent of who I recognized to be Mae spoke first.

"Hello Mr.Pliegue, pleasure to meet you I'm Emment, Mae's father.",

I rushed the introductions and formalities, in a rush to find Aaliyah and Lilli.

"Yes. Yes, nice to meet you all, hey how about you all come in and help set up, the kids can play in the bouncy house or wherever. But I gotta go.",

Standing aside for everyone to come in, I ran to my car, jumped in and started the engine. I don't know where I was going, but all I know is something is wrong.

As I got on the road I glanced at the clock.
4:32 PM

I took the path to Lilli's school, following the route Aaliyah possibly took.
Driving past the school, I drove forth and took a turn on Slade Boulevard, up ahead what I saw almost stopped my heart.

Police quadrants, a fire department, and multiple ambulances riddled the scene.
I stopped my car a few feet from the scene, my vision limited by all the people crowding the accident. The ambulances drove off, it's lights going weird and horns screaming, rushing to the hospital..
I sunk down in my driver's seat, sighing because I don't know what's happened and it's frustrating me. I sat there for what seemed like forever. The road was blocked completely, I couldn't go around, I had to turn around. Sitting up straight again, I put my hand on the stick shift but just then, I felt my cell phone vibrant in my pocket, taking it out I saw an unknown number.

With shaky hands, I answered.

"Iain Pliegue.",
Staring off at the radio, the time read 5:10 PM.

"Hi, my name is Dr. Ceris. There's been an accident involving your daughter and Fiancé, if you would please come to John Hopkins immediately.",

I heard every word he said but I felt deaf, I didn't believe... I looked up to the accident, the crushed cars, the yellow scene tape and smoke and knew then it had to be true. I dropped the phone on the passenger's seat and speedily made a U-turn and zoomed to the hospital.