Chapter 37

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next morning Iain came running through the front door to Aaliyah who's sitting at the kitchen island.
He noisily took a seat beside her.
"Lilli's at school, we have eight hours to plan this.",

With a firm nod, Aaliyah got out the blueprints, toy figures, markers and notepad. Laying the papers on the counter, Aaliyah picked up a miniature toy play house and placed it in the far corner of the drawn back yard.

"Play house goes there,",
Picking up a plastic disney princess, Aurora to be exact, she placed it 6 ft away from the play house.
"Princess statue goes there.",

Next, Iain picked up a pink marker and started to draw dots leading up to the front entrance on the blueprint.
"Pink glitter and confetti can dress the cobble stone path and stairs.",
Horribly drawing flowers he added,
"We can also deck the patio with white and pink flowers and bows.",

Aaliyah nodded in approval.
"That's perfect.", Picking up a ballon figure she placed it behind the pool in the back yard of the blueprint.
"Every kid loves bouncy castles and that will conclude the back yard activities.",

Iain approved, but wanted his baby girl to have more for her birthday. You only turn 9 once.
"Okay that sounds great, but how about front yard activities too? Lilli doesn't like things too complicated, so let's have simplicity for this.",

Aaliyah pushed her short brown curls behind her ears, and picked up a black marker.
"We could have a water fight, with water balloons and water guns....could cut on the sprinklers.",

Iain quickly nodded his head, really liking the idea.
Taking the black marker from Aaliyah he started to draw what looked to be....like....smoke? Yeah that's smoke on the far right of the front yard with picnic tables.
"I could grill, and call our parents to help. Lilli loves burgers.",

Not really liking that notion, Aaliyah shook her head a little bit but thought twice before she even uttered a objection. This is for Lilli.

"Okay, that sounds good. My friend Ginger is coming from the airport in about an hour, she can help us set up, Angela too. When I pick Lilli up, I'll pick them up as well.",

Iain eyes grew wide with glee. It made Aaliyah's heart flutter, seeing him so happy about his daughter's party.

"That's amazing! I'll go call all of Lilli's friends' parents and start the arrangements.",
Kissing Aaliyah a short goodbye, Iain said "See you soon." Picked up the notes, bluprints and figures, then left the kitchen.

Sighing to herself Aaliyah stared aimlessly at the refrigerator, not really knowing why but couldn't tear her eyes away for a while.

'This is going to be a very eventful day'

------------------------------------------------
Aaliyah's POV

I twisted myself around, putting one hand behind the passenger seat head rest, while keeping the other on the wheel. Parking perfectly, I put on the brake. Patiently sitting and waiting for Lilli to be dismissed out of school, glancing at the clock it read 2:58 PM. Only two minutes.
I took that time to go over the plan in my head and put everything together.

Okay, #1 Pick up Lilli. #2 Pick up Angela and Ginger. #3 Go shopping for Lilli's birthday dress but don't tell her it's for her birthday. #4 Take Lilli to the hair stylist with me as everyone helps prepare the party. Alright, that sounds easy enough.

Hearing the door open, I looked at the clock. 3:06 PM

"Aaliyah!!",

I gave Lilli my best smile as she fastened her seat belt and fixed her construction paper tiara.

"Happy birthday sweet pea! How was your day?",

Lilli couldn't contain her elation, she was smiling so hard I thought her face may get stuck like that.

"It was awesome! Mrs. Dutch let me sit in her swivel chair, and gave me a crown, AND a lollipop, see!?",
Lilli pulled the lollipop out of her mini Disney princess purse, and leaned forward to put the candy in my view.

I, already on the road and driving, took a quick glance at the lollipop Lilli so desperately wanted me to see. But, in just a few seconds of me not paying attention to the road, the unimaginable happened.

"That's nice Lil-", I didn't finish that sentence, I couldn't.

Tires screeched and cars were maneuvered. I tried to swerve the car and avoid the truck that ran a stop sign and tried turning right in front of the car. Good news is, I avoided it. The bad news?
....Well. Let's just say it was a collusion worth a million dollars of collateralized damage.

"Ahhh!!", Lilli screamed as I swerved the car suddenly, barely getting out of the way of the truck.

"Lilli hold on!", I yelled

I felt myself losing control of the steering, and in the moment of going only 52 mph, my brakes were tested and I sincerely regret missing that mechanic appointment 12 months ago.

Our car spun into the intersection, halting to a stop we were horizontal in a vertical lane.
Then, BAM.
A speeding Jeep going at least 70 in a 55 mph hour speed limit area, collided into the right side of my Camry, making us get pushed into the opposite direction of traffic, causing two more cars to hit us from the left side and every car after crashing into the one in front of it, increasing the impact for us. But not too gargantuan.

Everything happened in a flash and I was in a red daze. I could feel the warm, sticky, red substance leaking out of me, from my head that's a fact but also somewhere else I couldn't realize. I was numb, all I could think about in my moment of fleeting light and loud sirens was

'Lilli'

I lifted my head off of the steering wheel long enough for me to see the smoke, the crinkled metal, and the red, white and blue in the far distance blaring their horns.

Turning my head slowly, I tried to clear my vision of the red to see if Lilli was alright.

"Lilli", I tried. My voice was hoarse. Maybe I was screaming but didn't remember.

I reached out my cherry red stained hand to the back, trying to feel if my baby girl was breathing. I couldn't see a thing. She was but I presumed passed out that's why she isn't answering... Pulling my hand back, I searched for my phone. Pressing on the Home button, I heard the jingle, indicating voice command.

Faintly, I said
"Call Iain.",

Rinngg. Riinnng.
My eyes started to close. I couldn't hold on for much longer.

Rinngg.
The phone slipped out of my hand and fell to the car floor as I lost consciousness.
Right before I did, the ringing ceased and I heard

"Hey, I'm not done decorating yet. Do you have Lilli?",

But I couldn't answer.

"Aaliyah?",

I really wish I could.