Chapter 45

Before and after photo of Iain above.

*Aaliyah's POV*
I slid down the bathroom door as tears flooded my eyes. I didn't really want to go home, I just want to go away. Everything is becoming too much and it's more than I bargained for, it's making me regret having said yes...I shouldn't have signed on the dotted line. I mean if I didn't then all of this wouldn't be happening to me or to Lilli. Maybe I should terminate the contract..the wedding...everything.

*Knock Knock*

"Aaliyah please." I heard Iain knocking but I wasn't going to open the door or answer him. A girl can only take so much and I was about done.

"Alright." Iain sighed exasperated. "If you won't answer, just listen. I know these last few months haven't been the best...with my screw ups and..this but, Aaliyah we can get through it. We will get through it. We'll get married and Lilli will have a bigger and better party than we planned. It'll all be okay."

I sniffed, grabbing some tissue I wiped my nose.

"Iain you don't understand, it will never be okay."

"What don't I understand?"

"There will always be something else, another obstacle to hop over. I didn't take in account your lifestyle before...how we would be the oject of attention because of how well known you are and how I would have to adjust. This is all so new and it's overwhelming, not to mention the maniac trying to kill m-"

Without a moment of anticipation, Iain pushed open the bathroom door slowly, forcing me to hurry and move or stay and get squished. I looked up at Iain from the bathroom floor, tiredly. 'I should've locked the door' I thought as I scooted over to make room. Sitting down on the titles next to me Iain honored my space, not touching me as I wrapped my arms around my knees.

"I don't think I can do this anymore." I told Iain, my voice cracking all the way through. I didn't even have to look at him to know the look on his face.

"What...what do you mean you don't think you can do this anymore?"

I brought down my hand on the bathroom floor, slapping it.

"Damn it Iain! This. I can't do it, I'm sorry." Getting up from the floor I maneuvered around Iain and made way back to the hospital bed. A few moments later as I expected Iain emerged from the bathroom, closing it's door he leaned against it. Eyes closed, head back, I could just sense the hurt and I've never felt as guilty in my life as I did right now. Sitting criss cross I examined Iain thoroughly for the first time since I awoke. The very first thing I noticed was his long luscious black hair but now looking intently I saw the split ends to match. He looked bigger...like he put on a few pounds of fat and muscle but I think it suits him. Lost in my examinations I didn't realize Iain had opened his eyes already, and was watching me until we made eye contact. I looked away quickly, afraid that upon staring into those cold blue eyes I would find resentment.

"Fine."

I scrunched up my face in confusion. "What?"

"Fine." Iain shoved his hands in his pockets as he started walking over to me leisurely. "I'll give you your space if that's what you want." He said stopping right in front of me, only inches apart.

I scoffed. "Just like that? You're just gonna let me go?"

"Oh no, I never said I was letting you go I said I was gonna give you space. I'll call Grim and postpone the wedding for a couple of weeks-"

"Weeks?" I interrupted.

"Yeah. You know to give you some time to think if I'm the one you really want to marry."

I have him a skeptical look. I didn't believe a word he just said honestly, he has something up his sleeve. "Okay Iain, what's the catch?"

"Come to Italy with me."

I laughed. He didn't even try to act clueless, I always admired that about him. His bluntness.

"But why, I thought you were giving me my space?"

Iain exhaled out his nose. "I am, I will just please come. I still have to close out this merger and it'll look better if you came.",

I gave him a side eye.

"Hm...I dont know..."

"You can invite your friends, I'll pay for everything. Hell Aaliyah, we can take different planes of you want.",

I waved my hands in a dismal matter. "Okay, okay fine. I'm sold! But Iain if you try any funny business, I swear-"

"I won't!" Iain yelled playfully while chuckling a bit. "Don't you trust me?"

"HA!" Sarcasm evidently present in my voice.

"Oh come on Aaliyah, we'll have fun."

Maybe he's right, Italy won't be so bad.