Chapter 48

*13 hours later*

I yawned as I descended down the jet stairs. With foggy eyes I surveyed the scene, reporters, columnists and photographers waiting at the plane landing a few feet from our runway with Iain's security and officers keeping them at bay. I could see the dim lights from the airport, and it's big shiny glass windows. Sure to give a good view of the planes landing I bet. Watching my step I continued down, using the illumination from the jet because the sun hasn't risen yet.... But the reporters and journalists still beat us out here, what madness.
I stepped off the last stair, Iain in tow behind me. He grabbed my waist and discreetly whispered in my ear.

"Just smile and answer brief if you choose to answer at all." Nodding my head, I repeated what he said in my head a couple of times so I wouldn't look like a complete amateur to the cameras.

As we approached smiling, question after question came. Flash after flash. My nervousness started crawling, like a caterpillar on a leaf....not rising just moving idly inside me. But, something about the attention is thrilling I have to admit. Having all eyes on you would make anyone feel... Important...Desirable...

I snapped back to reality as a man with red hair rushed forward first to unleash his attack.

"Mr. Pliegue! What are the plans for the Rizzoli settlement?"

Another.

"Are you two expecting? Is that why you've been out the public eye?"

And another. 'Wait, do I look bloated?'

"Aaliyah how are you feeling after the accident?" This question was asked by a woman towards the back, and she said it so nonchalantly I almost missed it.

Still walking I answered the strawberry blonde reporter's question on my health.

"Great. Thank you."

Iain pulled me closer to him as the reporters bombarded each other trying to get the latest news and fuel for later scandals. Nearing our reserved vehicle, Iain turned towards the media.

"We thank all of you and I will have a statement shortly on the Rizzoli settlement, stay tuned. We guarantee big success."

I saw everyone silence as Iain was speaking but once he was done automatically the questions started up again in a roar. Iain opened my door for me and then got in himself.
I love the way he commanded their attention without even having to vocally demand it. It seems as if this man was just born to rule with dominance.

"What a drain. You sure handled that well." I said humorously as I put on my seatbelt, not actually being serious.

Shrugging, Iain started the engine.
"You get use to it. Our luggage should already be at the Belverdere by the time we arrive so don't worry about that."

How did he know I was going to ask about that?

"But I...wasn't going to worry about it."

Iain gave me a doubtful look before pulling out of the parking space.
"Yeah right." He said sarcastically.

I giggled slightly and looked ahead as he drove to the fancy hotel 'Belvedere'
____________________________________

Entering the hotel lobby, I trailed closely behind Iain, and behind me the security carrying our luggage. We approached the front desk and the receptionist face automatically brightened. She looked scrawny but had a noticeably nice bust, blue eyes and brown hair. Short in height, tall in charisma, I could tell so much just by looking at her.

The woman looked shocked, yet a big smile still etched across her face.
"Mr. Pliegue! Welcome to the Belvedere Florence. So glad you could make it."

Ignoring me completely the woman tapped the keys on her computer. Let me add rude to the list.

"Here's your room key and enjoy your stay!"

Iain stared at the woman oddly and so did I. Looking at her name tag it read 'Rose'

"You only gave me one key, how would my fiancée have access to our room?"

Rose looked over to me, her smile dropping slightly. I gave her a sassy, one eyebrow raised look. Surveying her statue to see if I could knock her out in one punch. Most likely.

'Calm down Aaliyah, violence solves nothing.'

"Of course! My apologies sir. Here's another key..." Even though she was handing it to Iain, I snatched it out of her hand quickly and gave a fake, sardonic smile.

"Thank you so much." I said sarcastically. "Let's go Iain."
Walking ahead I made my own way to our room 217 even though everyone was behind me, once I reached the elevator I pressed the UP button and waited patiently fuming in my own hissy fit.
Iain stayed silent, with his hands in his suit pants pockets he watched the numbers on the elevator tracker descend.

'So he really isn't going to say anything about what just happened?' I thought.

The elevator dinged, and I scoffed as I walked through the doors.

Typical.

Once we all crowded in the spacious elevator, it was the waiting game once again. I could feel eyes bouncing between Iain and I, the tension thick. Hell, I was creating enough for the both of us.

Ping!

The elevator made that familiar ding and surprisingly our room wasn't that far. Swiping the card, I unlocked the door and let our men in first, officers inspected the room before giving the OK and the security settled in our bags. Thanking them, Iain and I entered the room and shut the door bidding our good nights.

Now here we are....Alone.

I really didn't think this through did I....seems I have developed a habit of doing that.
Iain went straight to his overnight bag and pulled out the essentials for a shower and a good nights sleep, like his pajamas, towel, socks and toothbrush. He laid his items out neatly on the bed before digging into the bag once more and pulling out a bottle of water (warm, no doubt) and his medication.

I tensed at the sight of the petite orange and white bottle, lying next to his toothbrush. I couldn't help but think of his condition and how he was coping exactly. No one goes cold turkey in just one night....

"Aaliyah?" Iain snapped my out of my thoughts, looking at me expectantly I made a light "hm" sound.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that can you repeat?"

"I said, you can shower first. I'll order food while I wait and lay out the settlement paperwork." Reaching for his suitcase, Iain started shuffling through papers.

I said a low "Oh" in response and went over to my yellow suitcase, unzipping it I decided on short shorts, and a tank top. Grabbing my towels, and hair tie I advanced to the bathroom.

The colors were amazing, it reminded me much of the sea from the light blue and dark blue contrasts spread through the bathroom, particularly the shower walls and decorative Drying towels.

Turning the 'H' knob I started undressing as I waited for my shower to get hot.
Hearing a soft knock on the door I quickly discarded my bra.

"Just a minute!" I yelled before stepping into the shower and pulling the curtain. "Okay come in!"

I saw Iain open the door and enter the bathroom through the kind of clear shower curtain. It was one of those foggy type ones that you could only see the outline of objects and people.

"You forgot your toothbrush on top of your bag."

I internally face palmed myself.

"Thanks Iain,"

"Yeah no problem."