Chapter 35

"I don't know about you but I want a winter theme with blue and white.", Iain said making Aaliyah grimace in disgust.

"That's so bland and ew! How about gold and black? Yellow and orange? A fall theme.", Now it was Iain's turn to grimace.

"That's... A bit too bright, I'll take the gold and black. It could be like a masquerade type thing. Lilli is obsessed with Phantom of The Opera",

Aaliyah cheered silently, pumping her fits in the air enthusiastically.

"I have to call Angela for dress shopping.",

"Hopefully she'll be free and not swamped with work from her new Admin position.",

Aaliyah stared at Iain in confusion.

"I promoted Angela to Operations Manager, she's too top notch to be my secretary. She's now overseeing basic and intermediate functions of every department.",

Aaliyah oh-ed in a newly found understanding, well that answered her question as to why her best friend wasn't in her past position as personal assistant/secretary.

"When did that even happen? I feel like I'm in a cave, I must catch up on everything that's going on.",
Iain let out an amused laugh at Aaliyah's statement, finding her lame conviction hilarious.

"Oh come on Aaliyah, it's not that bad, you've just been caught up with a lot, I'm sure Angela will understand.",

Aaliyah sighed in sadness and contemptuously played with her finger nails, she ignored the sardonic tone in Iain's voice.
"I hope so, she's my only friend", she said with her voice laced with a small portion of humor and whimsicality.

Just then, Lilli bust in the study with a mask of some sorts on.

"Look Dad! I'm the Phantom.",
Gliding around the room as if she was dancing, Lilli waltzed over to Aaliyah and asked for her hand in dance. Taking her hand, Aaliyah stood and straightened her back, ready to display her knowledge in ballroom dancing.

"La da do, la do da, la da di.", the girls chimed in unison, sounding foolish trying to imitate snobbish 18th century music, I'm sure Phantom of the Opera didn't sound so silly.

"Right step, back step, now twirl.", Aaliyah whispered telling Lilli the moves she once had trouble conquering long ago. The waltz was always the hardest dance for her.

"I didn't know you knew how to dance so pretty!", Lilli said cheerily.

"Me either.", Iain chimed in

Aaliyah spun Lilli around before continuing the tedious moves, now was not the time to mistep for Aaliyah was wearing heels and didn't want to take out any of her future step daughter's toes.

"I learned in middle school, and took classes as a high schooler for prom.",

Lilli stepped on Aaliyah's toe by accident, she was glad she decided to put on her rubber ducky slippers earlier.

"Sorry!",

Aaliyah laughed.
"It's alright Lilli. I did that a lot more than you when I was learning.",

Ring ring.

"I'll get it."

Iain rushed to get the phone as his two girls continued their dancing. Picking up the phone from off of the table stand next to the comfy couch, he answered.

"Hello?",

"Iain? It's Angela! Put Aaliyah on the phone!",

Iain smirked, deciding not to comply for a little while.

"Nice to hear from you Angela, but I'm afraid Aaliyah's busy.",

Angela audibly growled on the other line, not up for her boss's cynical personality or her best friend's fiancé dry humor.

"Iain. If you don't put Aaliyah on the phone right now, I swear I will chop off your-",

Just then Aaliyah took the phone from Iain, hearing the whole thing from across the study.

"And shove it down your throat so far it will become part of your small intestines!",

"Angela! It's Aaliyah, calm down would ya?",
Laughter was evident in Aaliyah's voice but to Angela this was no joking matter.

"I miss my best friend and you're telling me to calm down. We haven't had girl talk in forever!!",

Guilt hit Aaliyah like a brick just then, she had been so caught in the drama, secrets and wedding planning she forgot to make time for her maid of honor, her best friend.

"Angela, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me quickly so we can go dress and flower shopping.",

There was a silence.

"Please?",

There was a longer silence.

"Oh please!!",

Finally.

"Alright, alright." Angela sighed. "I'm your maid of honor of course, but you know we're gonna have to bring along the bitches-",

"Brittany and Steph", Aaliyah corrected.

"Yeah them because you know you need bridesmaids. Or maybe we can just call in Ginger-"

"She's in the Bahamas Ang, with her mother. She's not gonna make it back in time.",

"Stop interrupting!! She will once she hears out of the two of us who's getting married. HA!",

Aaliyah rolled her eyes and cast a look over to Iain who took her place in dancing with Lilli.

"She'll freak.",

"Deal with your fate like a woman Liyah and get your ass over here!", Hanging up the phone, Aaliyah lulled back her head slowly facing the ceiling with her eyes closed. Brittany and Steph worked in the media department at Pliegue industries and were better friends to Angela than Aaliyah, she barely knew them. She would have to think of them as extras for the wedding. Aaliyah scrunched up her face at the thought of comparing her wedding liken to a scene in a movie. Ginger worked with Angie in the tech department and was a Pliegue Industry senior, having 10 plus years there.

"What are you doing?", Lilli asked.

"Praying.", Aaliyah answered.

With Ginger returning, she would have to.