Chapter 42

"Thank you so much for coming in right away." The detective shook Iain's hand gratefully before taking a seat.

Iain sat down in the prickly, lint riddled gray office chair in front of Detective Warners desk.
Not getting too comfortable in the rather uncomfortable chair Iain bid a nod.

Going through some files, the detective laid out the schematic and his theories, changing his mind he them bunched them together and put out a pen and notepad. It was too soon and he knew this was a rather...delicate topic for the man.

"Alright Mr. Pliegue I'm going to need contacts, places you and Aaliyah went daily, you get the gist."

Iain cleared his throat and pondered on where to start.

"Surrounding family, friends and even coworkers. Also anyone that displayed some animosity to you, your wife and the becoming of yous marriage." The southern drawl was evident in Warners words.

Leaning forward, Iain sighed before taking the pen and notepad from Warner. Writing down all the people he could think of at the moment and places they went like the office or Aaliyah's favorite café then he slid the items back over to the detective.

"Alright very good Mr. Pliegue....uh mother, father...Angela...Ginger Brea...interesting last name...Lilli...okay okay. Thank you for your cooperation are you sure that's all?"

Warner extended the pen in case he remembered anyone else.

"Yes. Family, friends, cowork- oh! I forgot my new secretary. Her name's Wendy Grant, you can write her down as well.",

Warner gave a inquisitive eye to Iain before writing down Wendy.

"Secretary huh?", Clearing his throat dramatically he leaned forward a bit. "And...a secretary is all she is to you...right Mr. Pliegue? Aaliyah use to be your secretary..is that right?"

Iain narrowed his eyes.

"Are you implying I cheat on my fiancé with my secretary Detective, because I don't."

Warner put his hands up defensively.
"Alright alright." He said, his voice reaching a funny pitch. "And she has no...interest in you, right-"

"I wouldn't know." Iain interuppted "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to the hospital."

Getting up, Iain pushes the chair back in it's place before heading to the door.

Before the door could close Detective Warners yelled
"If you need me, you know how to contact me!"

_________________________________________
*At the hospital*

Iain stared attentively at Aaliyah and started to think...what if she really wasn't going to wake up?
At that thought Iain went to grip her hand and decided to try something.

"..Aaliyah? Aaliyah I don't know if you can hear me but...I'm gonna try anyway. I love you so so much, please come back to us, come back to me. I'm a mess without you, it's obvious. You're my world, I'll never give up on you so don't you give up on me get your ass back here....I'm in love with you and" Iain took a break to try and clear his voice of the heavy emotion
"I don't know how much longer I'll be able to live without seeing those beautiful brown eyes."

Gripping Aaliyah's hand and nervously watching the monitor Iain didn't see a change. Sighing, he fell back in his chair, pulling at his hair, eyes closed to stop the tears from falling. He didn't know why he got his hopes up, it wasn't guaranteed to even work.

Leaning his elbows on the bed, Iain covered his face with his hands trying with all his might not to emotionally breakdown.

"I can't live without you." Iain cried, letting out what he so desperately tried to keep in.

*Aaliyah's POV*
I heard every word, and I wish I could tell him that. I love him just as much as he loves me, and those words only made me ever so sure of that reality.
He needs me. Lilli needs him. I know he won't care to hang on, I have to wake up.

I focused on the small things first, like trying to move fingers. My index to be exact.

Move. Nothing.

Move. Nothing again.

Getting angry inside I tried to demand my brain once again.

Move. This time I felt my index move slightly, now if only I could open my eyes next. Frustration started to brew, not because I only moved my index but the complication of moving it. I never imagined being in a position of not being in control of my own body, somehow being consciously unconscious. It's weird. It's like I'm asleep but I have woken and the catch is I just can't open my eyes and speak.

But I'm not giving up, my back feels stiff as hell I'm tired of laying comatose.

Focusing all my concentration on opening my eyes, I tried widening them...to no avail. So instead of trying to open them I decided to close them more then try and flash open them. Kinda like shocking my brain because it wasn't expecting my action, I don't know if this will work though I saw it in a movie.

Squeezing my eyes shut even more with little effort, I opened them quickly and automatically started to blink rapidly from the well lit room.

Oh my fudge it worked!!!

Squinting and adjusting my eyes, I looked around until my eyes landed on Iain right beside me. I opened my mouth, but no words came out right away.

"Please come back Aaliyah, for me." I heard Iain cry and it broke my heart. He is really a mess, I could never imagined leaving him like this.

"Anything for you." I uttered, it came out raspy because what's important is it came out.

I saw Iain's head pop up and him look at me in disbelief.

"Am I dreaming..?" He asked me

"No Iain, I'm back. For you." I said softly while bringing my hand up to stroke his face, feeling his rough black beard.

Suddenly Iain leaned forward and kissed me, with all the passion he kept for me.

As I kissed back, I thought about how much I would miss it if I didn't wake up.

Pulling away, Iain grabbed hold of my face with both hands and leaned his forehead against mine.

"I'm never letting you out of my sight Aaliyah."

And with those words, I've never felt more safe.