Chapter 41

It's been 6 months.. A solid 6 months and Aaliyah hasn't woke yet. The family would visit here and there, Iain took care of work but mostly he would be by Aaliyah's side waiting. He wasn't taking much care of himself, no matter how many times his mother or his father insisted he should. He still had a daughter to take care of but without Aaliyah it's like he was functioning under a time bomb ready to blast, he didn't know how to handle things but he managed and that's all he was doing, managing. Julia eventually took the situation into her own hands and took Lilli for awhile, at least until Iain got better. She of all people knew just how much his sanity is at stake right now and would rather take precautions this time.

Angela and Ginger together visited Aaliyah. Seeing Iain by her side of course. Walking up, Angela saw how much longer Aaliyah's dark curly brown hair gotten and how her skin looked kinda pale. The dropping temperatures weren't helping the moisture of her skin and those doctors don't give a crud about those comatose.

Looking to Iain, Angela took notice of how rugged and rough he looked. His black, usually suave and cut hair had grown, now just below his ears. He had the appearance of a man who haven't shaved in months, though his facial hair was just some scruff but his eyes those are what troubled her most. His usually vibrant, cold blue eyes were looking dull and the bags under his eyes were startling for a man who takes good care of himself.

Ginger grabbed Aaliyah's hand before telling Angela she was going to get coffee and if she would like some.

"No I'm fine Gin, thanks.",

Hearing the door click, Angela kept making glances to Iain.

"I know, I look terrible. No need to stare." Iain said, trying to make light of the situation by smiling but it never reaching his eyes.

Angela wasn't fooled, she could see how bad this man was hurting and just how much he's crumbling inside.

"Iain...honestly, how are you holding up?",

Iain not for a second took his eyes off of Aaliyah.

"With canceling the wedding, putting reservations on hold and-"

"I don't mean that. How are you holding up without her."

Iain meet Angela's eyes.

"I'm not holding up...I'm not living. Not without her. I can't function, everyday it gets a little harder to breathe when I see the captions on the magazines and news updates it just reminds me that she's here."

Iain patted his chest, where his heart is before continuing.

"But she's not here, physically, she's not here with me. I can't make her laugh, I can't hear her sing or..."

Iain but a hand to his mouth as his voice cracked and tears filled his eyes. Rubbing his facial hair he sighed as he shook his head.

"I don't know how much longer I can do this without her....honestly."

Angela felt tears sting her eyes as she heard what Iain had to say. He really really loves Aaliyah and for a man like him that's a complete 180. In all her years working for Mr. Pliegue she has seen women come and go out of his office and none stayed longer than a week but this....this is astonishing.

"Wow," Angela said because she felt that's all she could say.

Just then the door clicked again as Ginger walked in with her coffee and... A man? Angela have never seen him before.

Ginger came to Angela and moved her head towards the door, signaling they should step out. Getting the notion Angela patted Iain's arm before leaving.

The unknown man stepped forward and outstretched his hand.
"Hi, my name is Detective Warner and this case has escalated to my desk."

Iain shook his hand and gave him a confused, inquisitive look.
"Last time I checked, Detectives worked in Criminal Justice, not Medical. What case?"

Warner pulled a chair to sit and unlocked his suitcase.

"I see you were not informed Mr. Pliegue."
Pulling out the accident photos he laid them on the coffee table near Iain.
"The truck that hit your fiancés car was no where to be found after the accident. Every car was accounted for but getting eye witnesses, that truck was the first to make contact with Aaliyah's car and the first to disappear. My officers did some searching and managed to find the truck a few weeks back hidden in the Grove. Steering wheel: Clean. Doors: Clean. The Car: Clean. There's no fingerprints, no slip ups, Nada."

Iain put his head in his hands before looking at Warner with disbelief and cynic.

"Are you trying to see the accident, was no accident?"

Detective Warner leaned forward.

"That's exactly what I'm saying. There was no mistakes, why hide a car if there's nothing to hide? That was a professional hit job and I intend to find out who with such expertise was hired and who wanted your fiance dead Mr. Pliegue. Are you willing to cooperate?"

Iain looked to Aaliyah, then to Detective Warner.

Was it really intended for his girls to get hurt?

Who would do this?

And why?

Iain had to know. Making a decision he said,
"Yes."