Chapter Seven

I did a mental eye roll because I didn't want Josh to know who I was talking to.

"I'll do it. Is it just you?" I asked knowing that Estelle was there too.

"Yeah just me, Estelle isn't allowed to bail because she had some cocaine and other stuff on her but I'm only here because I was arguing. And I'll pay you back too," he explained.

"Oh wow I didn't pin her as one to have that stuff. How much is bail?"

"I don't know they won't tell me, they just wanted me to call someone to ask if they'd bail me out. And I knew you would because you have a huge heart," he told me.

"Yeah I'll come later but definitely before tomorrow. I'll see you later," I told him and hung up.

Josh never even questioned who I was talking to. But he pulled me into his side, and I pulled the blanket over us and I pushed play on my music and blocked out the world until we got to Toronto.

|||||||||

I unlocked our apartment door and dragged our suitcase in, I grabbed a snack to eat and then changed out of my jersey.

I threw on my black sweater and left my ball cap because damn I look cute.

I left the apartment and took the elevator down to the lobby. I hailed a taxi and told him to take me to the Michigan border.

I didn't care how much it cost, I would pay it, just as long as I got Ryan out of jail and before any media found out.

About an hour later he pulled up at the customs office and I paid my fee and thanked the taxi driver for driving me here.

I swallowed all of my cowardice and walked into the building.

I told the man at the desk who I was here for and he brought Ryan out.

"That'll be seven fifty," he said.

"Like seven dollars and fifty cents or seven hundred and fifty dollars?" I asked.

"Ma'am that'll be seven hundred and fifty dollars please," he reinstated.

I pulled out my Mastercard and I put it into the machine and payed the fee.

"You have a great evening," he said as I turned to leave.

"You too sir, thank you for your assistance," I called over my shoulder.

I had to call a nearby taxi service because there were no nearby taxis that I could hail.

It took the taxi that I called about twenty minutes to get here, and then the hour or so drive back to Toronto.

When we got dropped off a block away from the apartment building, I paid the expensive taxi fare and we walked the block.

"Lucy, thank you for doing this. I will definitely pay you back," Ryan said hugging me.

"Hey it's not a problem! Anything to help out a friend," I told him.

We walked into the building together and I was immediately bombarded by Josh.

"Where the hell have you been? I have been worried sick thinking about you. And I called you and texted you and you never answered me. What the hell Lucy?" He started.

"I went to bail Ryan out of jail. And my phone is on silent and I never looked at it. And I didn't tell you because I wanted to do it without any setbacks so I'm sorry for not telling you but I got Ryan out of jail. And without any media finding out," I told him as I walked over to the elevator.

"You should have told me," he mumbled. And when he said that I knew I had hurt his feelings. But I just wanted to fly under the radar.

"I'm sorry Josh. Okay? I just wanted to fly under the radar without anyone knowing. I'm sorry I never checked my phone okay. I just wanted to bail him out of jail. It was something I wanted to do by myself and I'm really really sorry I never told you. But I just didn't want everyone harassing me about it or wanting to come with me," I told him, the tears welling in my eyes. "And he's gonna pay us back," I mumbled.

I walked out of the elevator, but Josh didn't follow. The silent tears started flowing down my face as I walked to our apartment.

I opened the door surprised that it was still unlocked and slumped against the closed door and started sobbing.

I knew I should've told him but I wanted to be independent. I wanted to prove to people that I could do great things. How could I have been stupid enough to not bring Josh?

I eventually hauled myself off the ground and walked over to the bathroom and took a nice hot shower. I was also still bawling my eyes out in the shower.

I eventually turned the water off and put my pajamas on and combed through my hair and brushed my teeth. I was scared to open the door because I didn't want to see Josh after my stupid mistake.

I opened the door to the lights out in the apartment and Josh laying in bed. I didn't know if he was sleeping or not, so I just assumed he wasn't and layed on the edge of my side of the bed.

I tried to fall asleep but I just couldn't. I just lay awake. Looking at the wall. Willing my silent tears to go away so maybe I could get some sleep tonight.

I sniffed my nose and layed flat on my back. I just kept looking straight at the ceiling. Never breaking my gaze.

"Lucy," Josh whispered. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry for walking away," he whispered.

"No I'm sorry for not telling you. I should have, and it was very self centered of me to do that to you. You just wanted to help and I just wanted to do something by myself. I should have told you Josh and I'm so sorry that I didn't," I whispered to him still glaring at the ceiling.

"It's okay baby, I just can't stand not holding you. And I just can stay mad at you, I love you too much. Come here," he said pulling me into his arms.

"Remember, we can't keep running away from our problems. We're just going to have to work them out no matter how mad we get. And if we need a couple hours apart, we're just going to have to tell each other. I hate that we can't even work out a single problem with each other," I told him starting to feel tars prick the back of my eyes.

"You're right. We just can't work out a single problem. Maybe we're just not meant to be."