Chapter Twenty Six

When Josh finally came home, he said the unthinkable.

"I want a divorce," he said when he walked through the door.

Then I started crying. I practically fell to the floor.

"So you're just going to leave like your father?" I shot. "Not today Josh."

This grabbed his attention. His eyes softened and he came and sat next to me on the kitchen floor.

"I knew you were going to say that," he whispered.

"Say what?" I asked.

"Not today Josh," he laughed.

"You remember that?" I asked.

"Yep because we got in a fight and you told me that if I ever tried to leave you, you'd say three words, not today Josh. And the next morning you made me cinnamon buns. Man they were delicious," he said remembering the night when we came home from Baltimore.

"Did it work?"

"Did what work?" He asked, confused.

"Not today Josh."

"Maybe after we talk it will," he said smiling at me.

"Alright," I said standing up.

We went into the living room and sat down.

"Let's say everything we hate about each other," Josh said. "You go first."

"I hate that you go to the clubs and stay out late," I said.

"I hate that you can be super controlling."

"I hate that you take like an hour in the shower," I said laughing.

"I hate that about you too Lucy," he laughed.

"Can we say the things that we love about each other now?" I asked.

"I love that you're my best friend," Josh said.

"I love that you're my best friend too," I whispered.

"I love your smile," he said smiling at me.

"I love that we can talk about almost anything and not get bored with each other."

"I love the way you look at me," Josh said.

"I love the way you look at our kids," I smiled.

"I love that you're the mother of my children," he told me, pulling me into his side.

"I love your eyes. They're so blue."

"I love you for not walking out on me the night I told you what was happening. I love you for staying with me even though I hardly deserve anyone like you. I don't want a divorce Lucy, I don't want us to be like Jessica and Michael. I love you and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then too," he said, bringing me to tears.

"Oh my god I love you," I said wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I love you too. More than anything. We aren't divorcing are we?"

"Not today Josh. I love you too much to let someone else love you."

"Good," he said, then kissed me.

Then something clicked in my mind. Jessica and Michael are divorcing?

"Michael and Jessica are divorcing?"

"Yeah, turns out the new assistant manager is his old girlfriend from high school and of course they still have feelings for each other, blah blah blah," Josh told me, rolling his eyes.

"Kind of cliché eh?"

"Kind of," he laughed. "Come on, I want you to come to the game," he grabbed my hand as I grabbed my recently neglected Donaldson jersey.

I grabbed my purse and phone and I locked the door.

"Since when have you locked the door?" Josh asked.

"Since I brought two kids home from the hospital. It's a mom thing."

"I wouldn't understand eh?"

"I don't know, do you have motherly instincts?" I teased.

"No but I have fatherly ones," he retorted.

I laughed and we left for the ballpark. I sat in my usual dugout side seats and waited for the game to start.

The game started and they won against the Rays. I was very happy considering the game was tied at four for a while.

Josh texted me and told me to meet him at the clubhouse. I grabbed my clubhouse pass from my purse and began the walk down.

Once I was down there Josh wrapped me in a hug.

"You look beautiful today," he whispered.

"Thank you," I said smiling at him.

"Come on, I want you to meet Hailey," he said putting his hand on the small of my back.

He took me into the clubhouse and a girl with dirty blonde hair and beautiful green eyes sat at one of the cubbies with a uniform on.

"Hailey, this is my wife Lucy, Lucy this is Hailey, the new assistant manager," Josh said introducing us.

"Nice to meet you, I've heard lots about you from the guys," she said shaking my hand.

"Nice to meet you too, Josh has spoken highly of you," I told her.

"Oh, well I don't know what to say about that," she blushed.

"Come on Hails, I'm ready to go," Michael said walking over to us.

"Alright, it was nice meeting you Lucy," she said shooting me a warm smile.

"Nice meeting you too," I scalped after her.

"See? She's not bad," Josh remarked.

"I never said she was," I retorted.

"True enough, true enough."

"She seems like she really wants to be here though," I added.

"She does. And now that her and Michael are rekindling old flames, she's gonna love being here," Josh said laughing.

"Gosh, if I was her then I probably would too," I laughed. "Come on let's go home," I added, grabbing his hand.

"Let's go

A/N: Sorry this is so short guys, I've had an emotional night last night and kind of got stumped with this one so I'm publishing what I've got. Sorry guys! And I'm thinking on winding the book down, maybe a few more chapters and an epilogue?
Lucy💕