Chapter Eight

"You're right. We just can't work out a single problem. Maybe we're just not meant to be."

My head started spinning when he said that. What does he mean we're just not meant to be? How can he even say that?

I am pregnant with his child and engaged to him and then he decides to tell me this? Have the past five years been for nothing? Does he not even love me?

"W-what do you mean?" I asked on the verge of sobbing.

"I'm saying that we love each other very much, but we might not work out," he whispered and his voice cracked. That means he's crying too.

"You must have some hope don't you?"

"Of course I do baby. I love you more than anything I've ever known. But all I'm saying is, if we don't start talking things out when it first happens, we won't last long. I promise you. The same thing happened with my parents. And I've feared this happening my whole life," he said through his tears.

"Josh, we will not end up the same way as your parents. I know damn well we won't. You are going to be here for your child and me. Do you understand? We are a team. There I no I in team. We're doing this together. I love you more than anything. I'm not letting you go Josh," I told him sobbing into his shirt.

"But what if I end up like my dad. He was rarely ever there for me. He came to one of my MLB games and it just so happened that I scored a home run, but what if I'm not there for you? For our child? What if-"

"How about you just shut up and we go to sleep? If you try to leave me I'll just say three words. Not today Josh. Okay? I love you," I told him and kissed him.

We eventually fell asleep, and all differences aside, I truly loved this man.

|||||||||

I woke up first, and I quietly rolled out of bed and walked out into the kitchen and started making Josh breakfast.

I started making pastry for homemade cinnamon buns when a wave of nausea hit me and I sprinted to the bathroom and was sick.

I came out of the bathroom five minutes later, washed my hands and continued with breakfast.

I popped the cinnamon buns in the oven and started making a cream cheese spread to put on top of them.

After I made that I started making french toast and bacon.

The smell of cinnamon buns filled the apartment, as did bacon and french toast. It smelled like a restaurant.

I made ten pieces of french toast, the whole package of bacon and twelve cinnamon buns with the most amazing cream cheese spread that ever existed.

I went and opened our bedroom door to let all of the great smells waft in to wake up Josh, and five minutes later he came stumbling out of the bedroom his hair a mess, and looking dazed as he scanned the place in his early morning state.

"Good morning," I said to him.

"Mornin'," he mumbled.

I started making a plate for him putting three pieces of french toast on his plate, putting syrup on the pieces along with icing sugar and a strawberry. I added bacon and a cinnamon bun to the plate and placed it on the table in front of him.

I went and made myself the same plate and sat down across from him and dug in myself.

And I have to say it was absolutely delicious.

"My god you know when they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, they don't lie," he said and dug into the feast I made him.

"Well I'm glad you like it," I told him standing up to get seconds. I really shoveled in the first plate.

I grabbed another cinnamon bun and some more bacon and went and sat down again.

"Did I ever tell you how delicious these cinnamon buns are? Your grandmother would have been pleased with these," Josh told me licking the extra cream cheese spread off his fingers.

"Yes you have told me, but these don't even begin to compare to my grandmother's, and you can't say they do because you've never had Nona's cinnamon buns," I told him indulging in my second cinnamon bun.

"I don't need Nona's when I have yours," he told me placing his hand over mine.

Just these little compliments made my heart swell. And he knew all of the right things to say.

"What do you plan on doing today?" he asked me.

"As far as I know, I don't have any plans," I told him crunching on my bacon.

"Well I'm just going to hang out on the third floor with all the guys, maybe work off all of this delicious breakfast but other than that," he said trailing off.

"Well actually, now that I think of it, I have a doctor's appointment today to see if I'm actually pregnant, but I'm pretty sure I am because I haven't had my period in over a month and my stomach is starting to get a little bit hard, but if you want to come you're more than welcome to," I told him.

"Uhm yes I'm coming! I would never miss out on any of your doctor appointments for our child. Never. And you can count my word for it," he said very seriously.

"Did you tell your mother."

"No but she's coming for game one of the ALDS and we'll tell her then," he told me and then added, "Have you told yours?"

"No but I imagine she would've seen the ball game, but even if she seen that she would've called me or something. Oh god I suppose I should tell her and dad."

"You should. She deserves to know," he said grabbing a napkin off the pile.

"Yeah I guess she does but we all know that our child will be the least favoured because Cheslea and Holly are the favourites. And their kids are more important than me alone. Ugh why did mom have to remarry and have those brats!" I shouted.

"Hey, it's okay Lucy, just remember that our child will be the favourite in my mom's eyes because I am the only way she will ever have grandchildren. Trust me honey, our child will be spoiled by my mother. She will be ecstatic when she finds out," he sounded so promising that my anger disappeared instantly.

"Thank you for that, you always know how to make my anger go away," I told him grabbing his hand from across the table.

I got up from the table and grabbed my cell phone from my bedroom. I dialled my father's number first because my father had always been there for me.

"Lucy?" my father's voice almost made me cry.

"Hi dad."

"Is something wrong Lucy?" He asked.

"No dad, I have something to tell you," I told him.

"Well what would you like to tell me?"

"Josh and I got engaged and I'm pregnant," I said waiting for his verdict.

"Wow. You're going to have a kid? And you're getting married? I'm so proud of you! And I'm happy that that young fella finally popped the question! Have you told your mother yet?"

"No. And I don't really want to either. Ever since she left you my life went to shit because of her so I don't think she really deserves to know yet," I told him my anger flaring again.

"I don't think I'd tell her either!" My dad said with a laugh.

"It was nice talking with you dad but I have a doctor's appointment to go to but I'll call you after, I love you dad."

"I love you too Lucy," he said as I clicked off.

I took a deep breath and grabbed my clothes and went and showered.