Chapter 16

"Get out.",
Aaliyah gasped, looking hurt and offended by those two words.
"W-what?" She stammered.

"I said get out!" Iain yelled, slamming his fist on the coffee table creating a crack.

"I-Iain.", Aaliyah jumped up, horrified for what he might do next.

Iain clenched his fist, his face turning red from frustration.

"I know I want her out! Just get out Aaliyah! Now!!",
Intensely afraid, Aaliyah ran and backed toward the front door, watching as Iain had an inner conflict with himself. He just opened up mere seconds ago and now he's speaking in third person and screaming for her to leave. It was a light switch 180.
Once she was on the front stairs Iain slammed the door in her face. Feeling the stiff, chill fall air, Aaliyah realized she had barely anything on.

"I've only got a towel on you fucking asshole!",
There was no answer gave from behind the door. As she banged on the door one more time before walking away, she felt something fall upon her. She pulled the soft familiar material from her shoulder, seeing it in full view she now knew what it was. Her dress. Looking up at the balcony her eyes grew wide as she dodged her stiletto heels Iain threw down to her. He was out of his mind. Completely out of his mind.
Aaliyah gathered her items and headed for the nearest bus stop, getting dressed on the way there and not really caring.
"I can't believe that dick!" She said aloud, ignoring the looks from the gardeners.
She pushed open the gate, wiping tears away as she walked.
Aaliyah boarded the perched bus, giving spare change she found in her dress pocket.
She sat on the first available seat she saw.
Why did Iain get so angry suddenly?
Why did he kick her out with no explanation.

"I need answers!" She yelled
She grabbed the old woman beside her, who grew wide eyed and pale.
"Right? I have a right to know!",
The old woman laughed nervously.
"Yes, I suppose you do sweetheart.", The elderly woman eased Aaliyah's hands away from her gently.
Aaliyah stood.
"I'll get off here! I'm getting answers, even if it kills me!",
And she knew exactly where to go.

Stepping off the bus Aaliyah still had her eyes on her phone, staring at the address.
"This must be the place.", she whispered. Trotting up the boardwalk, she stopped at the beach house front door. Knocking lightly she waited for the woman to answer the door.
She heard shuffling and an "I'm coming!", before the door opened.
"Oh Aaliyah! What a......pleasant surprise. How did you find me?",
Aaliyah stared at Julia as she greeted her, she knew the woman may not like her but she needed some answers and Julia was the only one that could give them.

"I used the yellow pages. Mrs. Pliegue, this is urgent. I really need your help."
Looking rather amused than concerned, Julia let the young woman inside her home.

"Please have a seat." Julia sat down, and gestured the open seat across from her.

"What happened with Lili?",
Julia blinked, a dark scowl passed her face.
"I thought you knew.",
Aaliyah got scared, and immediately regretted coming.
"Well, I just don't know everything. I need to know why Iain is so.....mean about the topic.",

Julia leaned back in her chair, contemplating whether or not this girl was worthy of an explanation. Picking up her hibiscus tea from her feng shin coffee table, she sipped her cup of tea before speaking. How fitting.
"Iain is sick.", Aaliyah didn't catch her drift, confused she asked,
"What? He seems to be in perfect health, and does that have to do with-",

"I wasn't finished.",
Shutting her mouth, Aaliyah waited for the older woman to continue.

"He's mentally sick dear, I'm afraid he has severe mental illness and his drug use makes it no better...." Putting her cup down Julia continued. "It's a recent development. Started in his mid 20's, around the time he lost his love, worsened even more when he lost his daughter. He started using marijuana and cocaine injunction with his medicine. It only works if he stays on his doses everyday but the drugs make him forgettable..... he must have missed a day."

Aaliyah couldn't believe what she was hearing. Iain seemed so healthy, so put together and most of time, calm.

"I...I still don't understand. But-but, what's exactly...how...." Aaliyah struggled to formulate the words.
Julia waved her hand for her stop.
"Iain has schizophrenia. After the funeral, he stopped taking his medication. It made him in no condition to take care of Lilli, even with my help because of the accident."

"W-what was the accident?",
Julia sighed, shaking her head.
"Now that, I can't tell you. Iain should.",
Aaliyah felt tears sting her eyes.
"Did he.....r-",
Julia almost chocked on tea, shocked by the assumption.
"My son would never! Now as I said before he should tell you, go back to him dear.",
Aaliyah winced, then spoke.
"C-could you just take me home?",