Chapter 5

Guys, I'm really sorry it takes me forever to update this story. I can only update this by phone since my laptop spontaneously combusted, so my motivation has been iffy...

Thank you for reading also~! Even with my jank updates, this story still managed to get 150+ reads! :D

That means a lot, but anyway, I'm going to be quiet so you can read~ thank you! <3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mina's POV-

Saturday had came sooner than I'd expected, or sooner than I'd hoped.

Dressed in my ninja turtle pajamas with my hair wrapped in a towel, I was pacing the entrance of my closet, trying to remember the outfit Mikki wanted me to wear.

"You have an hour until the party, pick something else if you can't remember." Min sighed as he sprawled out on my bed, playing with his phone. He, of course, was already dressed in his fashionista attire. How is it that the people around me know how to dress except me?

"Mikki's expecting me to look cute... And since we're meeting them there, she'll know I didn't go with the outfit." Min raised his eyebrows, as if saying 'so what?'. Then, it dawned on him about why I'm actually trying to be cute. He clicked his tongue, walking over to my closet.

"Jae, Jae, Jae," Min muttered as he flipped through the hangers. I crossed my arms when he pulled out one of my old shirts and snickered. "This one is Zico," he laughed, holding up a Hello Kitty singlet. I giggled, rolling my eyes at my dork of a brother. He continued to flip through my closet, finally pulling out options.

"Short black dress or the slashed violet shirt?"

I blinked. "They're both too tight.."

"Exactly. Jaehyo likes curves, and with these you'll actually see them."

I narrowed my eyes into slits. "Rude ass little--"

"Is that anyway to speak to someone that you won't see for months? Especially if it's," Min paused for dramatic effect and pouted his lips at me, "your baby brother?"

"Ha, no. Idiot." I scoffed, ruffling his hair. "I'm going to visit you, and you're going to call, and skype, and all this other stuff, alright?"

"Yeah, yeah," Min huffed, lifting up the hangers. "Whatever. So which one?"

"The purple... It's stretchy..." He tossed me the shirt and a pair of dark wash flare bottoms he had picked out. I said my thanks, but as I was about to change, screams from down the stairs were heard.

Loud ear piercing screams.

"Umma!" We called out, racing down the stairs.

"Umma what's wrong?"

"Are you okay?!"

"What happened?!"

We ran to the kitchen, only to find the one thing we never wanted to see.

Richard, our step-father, was standing in the centre of the room with his hands wrapped around our mother. She was smiling, hugging him tightly.

"Look whose back guys!" Umma squealed like a school girl, jumping excitedly. She looked up to meet his eyes. "I've missed you. How's Vancouver? Why didn't you tell me you were coming home? When--"

He cut her off by quickly kissing her, making Min and I gag with disgust.

Min groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Well since you aren't in any actual danger, we're leaving." He said hesitantly and grabbed my hand to drag me away. Min loathed Rick, he can't stand being near him... He's afraid of him. And because of that, I don't want him anywhere near my brother.

"No you aren't." Rick said sternly.

"Yes we are." Min argued back, an edge to his shaky voice as he casually walked up the stairs.

"You both are staying home." Rick snapped, his voice sending chills down my arms.

"Umma?" We gave her a pleading look, but she was too fixated to notice.

"Huh?" She answered, suddenly realizing, "Oh, yes. Richard, the kids wanted to go out to visit some friends before Min left for Europe."

"So?" He answered coldly. "I just got home. And I want to spend some family time with my kids."

"We aren't your kids.." I muttered. "You've never cared before."

"Honey, Richard is right." Umma smiled, oblivious to everything around her. "He just came home after all, he's been gone for months.. I think it's best if you two stay home tonight."

"But Umma- It's his farewell party. It may be the last time he gets to see his friends before he leaves."

"No buts." Rick remarked smugly. "He can make .... Other friends. They're probably glad he's leaving anyways. Everyone is actually, it's one less brat to pay for. Now both of you, get upstairs and change so we can have some family time."

The whites of Min's knuckles could be seen. This wasn't fair. It's Min's party, but now he can't even show up for it? His face was blank, showing no emotion as he trudged up the stairs, but deep down I knew.

I knew how much this party meant to him.

To see the people who actually care for him before he leaves, to wish him luck overseas.. None of this was fair.

I stopped, turning sharply at the step-monster and walking down to face him.

"No matter how much 'family time' you get to have with us, you will never be our father. He already has self esteem issues so your comments were totally uncalled for, a real father could've seen that," I spat. "You can just shove whatever this family bullshit is, right up your narcissistic ass--"

My head snapped to the side from the impact. I bit back the tears that threatened to fall and slowly, I lifted my head back up, staring into his cold blue eyes. It hurt to be hit, but what hurt the most is that my own mother didn't even seem to care.

"You are my children." Rick glared. "You live under my roof, you live by my rules, and that makes you," he chuckled sarcastically. "My children."

I glanced at Min, who was watching the whole thing and he nodded, as if knowing what I was thinking. I nodded back and glanced at Umma.

"What?"

"Aren't you going to do something about this?" I bit my lip, trying to contain my anger.

She arched her brow. "You brought this upon yourself. It's your own fault for talking to your father that way. You shouldn't talk to him like that." She groaned, rolling her eyes with an annoyed expression.

What?

"He hit me!" I shouted, trying to hold myself back. "He always hits me, but you don't care! You're our mother, but all you do is yell at us and let him hurt us. DAD wouldn't have let this happen."

"We," I looked her straight in the eye, gesturing to Min and myself. "We are YOUR children. Not his. But you've been too blind to see the things he's done, so that's it. WE are done, the both of us are." I didn't wait for her response, I felt it would've been useless at this point. "Don't have kids if you never wanted them in the first place."

I stormed up the stairs, the throbbing feeling welling into my cheek. Min's eyes were full of worry, but I didn't let him talk.

"Pack your stuff. We're leaving." I spoke through clenched teeth. I made my way to my room, slamming the door, and letting the pent up tears fall freely in the process. Throwing on the change of clothes, I slumped down against my closet door with my head in my hands. As sad as I am to say it, I was used to getting punched, and I'm used to my mother being like this.

But then why does it hurt my chest so much?

------------------------------------------------------------------

-Jaehyo's POV--

The drink in my hand became less appealing as I took yet another sip, searching through the crowd of people. The party started hours ago. Where is she?

She bailed didn't she? These questions kept running through my mind.

I shut my eyes and with my free hand, I used it to rub my temple. Maybe I'm trying to hard..? Maybe my weirdness pushed her away?

I really hope I didn't... She could just be late right?

No... Being late, doesn't mean being HOURS late. Maybe she got sick--

"Jae, are you okay?" The worried tone of B-Bomb's voice snapped me out of my train of thought. I took a deep breath and shrugged, meeting his and Mikki's eyes.

"Have you seen Mina?"

He shook his head. "Nope, but Min's not here either.."

"I just got a text from her," Mikki grimaced, the bright light shining at her face from the glow of her phone. She glanced at it confused, then looked up at us. "Min's here."

We watched as the blonde munchkin rushed to his side. The two conversed quickly, the once happy look sank off her face. When the two departed, she came back over to us with her face as pale as a sheet.

"I-I have to go," her knuckles were clenched tight and she seemed uneasy. "Where's Kai? We-We have to go-"

I grabbed her wrist as she tried to leave.

"What's the matter?"

She shook her head violently. "It's Mina. I have to go-"

I pulled her back again.

"What happened? Where is she?"

She sighed, closing her eyes tightly. "Just come with me. She's at my house."