Chapter Five: Lyrics Of The Dead

“Yeah, okay, bye,” Desiree says, her voice a bit muffled. The line is cut. I sigh as I drop my phone on my bed.

     Liane Chau and her stupid schemes. She's had such a huge effect on the whole school and Desiree. Liane hasn't even given any proof! This just shows how much people are willing to believe lies and false truths for scandals.

     I curse at Liane under my breath. I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.

     She's given Desiree a bad name. Along with Arianna. And Winter. The three most innocent people I've met. They don't deserve this crap.

     I can't help but think: this is my fault.

     Where would Liane get the drug part of her made-up story from? Obviously from me. Where else?

     I want to punch her.

     Seriously.

     I know it'll take a lot of restraining not to, the next time I see her face.

     I sigh and look at the calender. It's a week from the day of Winter's death now. A week. Already. A week since Winter's been gone.

     Today is her funeral.

     I still don't know what to say at her funeral. Will I remind everyone of her tendency to quote things or start off into some poetic stance? What will I say? Should I say something heartfelt and meaningful? Or should I just say that she was a great friend?

     I honestly don't know what to say at the funeral. I know that Liane will be coming. Maybe looking for more scandals. And I know a lot of other students are coming as well.

     I groan as I think about them. Hungry vultures and harpies, all together, waiting for some sort of prey.

     Liane has already gotten her fair share of prey. Maybe more. I wonder if she's gaining social status from her article. Probably.

     It's Thursday morning. And I'm trying to think up something to say for her funeral. Maybe I can say something that opposes Liane's stupid article. Though I'm sure many people wouldn't believe what I say. Why exchange scandal for the dull boring truth?

     Winter's death isn't dull and boring, I think angrily, it's crazy and insane.

     Why would Winter do something so insane? It's not like her... It's not like her at all—

     I shake the thoughts out of my head. I'm starting to over think things. I tend to do that sometimes.

     My phone starts ringing again. I hear the first line of Winter's Melody start to play. Winter's favourite song—the song she wrote.

Viewing winter as a cold summer's day,

viewing the sky as a brightly lit night.

Scowling upon our gifts,

we are ever greedy.

Smile to the sky.

Smile to the world.

For if you do not,

you only miss what is being given.

Smile to your gifts.

Cherish everyone.

For tomorrow you may wake,

and find them gone.