Chapter Twenty-One: Full Of Rubbish

“I can't believe that you're both done high school already! Children grow so fast these days!”

     We're sitting at the kitchen table. I don't even know why we're still here. I mean—we're done our breakfast, but we're still sitting here.

     Desiree catches my eyes and smiles nervously. She honestly doesn't know what to say after my mother's sex talk yesterday. I know we don't want to hear it again.

     “Yeah,” I say. Then it's silent.

     “Um,” Desiree begins, “may I use the bathroom? I'm just going to take a shower.”

     Before my mother can get into that lecture again, I announce, “and I'll be in my room by myself—and not near the bathroom at all.”

     Desiree nods vigorously, desperate to avoid another awkward talk with my mother.

     She frowns. “Well...if you—”

     But Desiree and I are out of the room before she finishes. We head upstairs and when we're sure that my mother can't hear us, I say, “she's never letting her guard down.”

     Desiree shrugs. “But she let them down with Liane.”

     “How did you—”

     “Arianna told me. She thought I deserved to know that you hated her and that everything was a mistake,” she says.

     “Desiree—”

     “Don't worry. I'm not jealous. You hate her. What's there to be jealous of?”

     Before I can say anything else, she smiles, which I take as a sign that means that she's okay. Then she heads straight for the bathroom.

     I enter my room. I know Desiree's going to take forever in the bathroom...girls. Since I have nothing to do I reach in my drawer and take out that green notebook again. The pink ribbon seem to beckon at me to open the book and start reading. I fall to the temptation and open the book.

September 18th

     So it's Sunday... Anyways, I edited the songs and then I recorded it again. Time to give it to Andrew—he loves putting my composed songs on his iPod...don't really know why though. At least my music is on someone's iPod though. It's a nice thought. If I'm not an astronomer when I grow up, I'll probably be a singer. Though I haven't told my friends that. I actually like singing and music better than Science.

     Anyways, I basically just stayed in my room and came out for breaks—like using the washroom (restroom) or eating.

     Yep.

September 19th

     I thought today was going to be like any other day. You know—all that signing up for Universities and other stuff like that. It had started last week—those stuff. Yep.

     Anyways, I just realized! Next week is the ninth grader's 'break the ice' camp. I can't remember the name of the camp, but I know that it was pretty darn fun. They needed some senior leaders, so the eleventh and twelfth graders were able to sign up.

     SO! I made Arianna, Andrew, and Desiree sign up with me. I got to the boys too late, so Con, Tomas, and Peter didn't have any spots left. Too bad.

     So the cabins are split between the girls and boys. And a girl and boy cabin are paired up as a 'sister' or 'brother' cabin. More often know as Group One, Group Two and so on. I'm with Arianna and one eleventh grader girl.