Chapter Eight: Sweetheart Liane

I'm an idiot.

     No surprise there.

     God, I'm so stupid. I think back to Desiree's horrified expression as she watches me kiss Liane... Does she... Does she think that I'm...dating her?

     No...please no. I think back to when we were in the girl's bathroom. I had told her that I would never be with Liane. Does she remember that? Maybe she thinks I was joking and is crying right now.

     Dammit, I'm such an idiot. Desiree trusted me... And what did I do? Break her heart.

     Dammit, Desiree, she pushed herself onto me.

     And what would Desiree say? I can hear it already. It's your fault you let her! I saw you with my own eyes!

     Still, I have to try and convince Desiree later that I wasn't actually with Liane. But I doubt that she will hear me out.

     ...What had I been thinking when I was messing around with Liane?

     I think back to the phone call. Where Desiree told me to hook up with Liane and mess around in beds. I wonder if she thought I took it literally. Now she thinks I'll become a player.

     I'm not sure if she'll tell Arianna or not. If she does, Arianna will be pissed at me. But... Arianna will know to as me through and through before she assumes that I'm an insensitive bastard.

     I wonder if I really am an insensitive bastard. That title seems about right. For all the bad things I've done. I might as well be an idiot too.

     I groan and I think back...

     “Andrew Campbell!” Her expression is full of pain, hurt, regret and hatred. I'm speechless. I don't know what to say during this moment.

     “Uh...” I hit myself mentally for soundly absolutely stupid.

     “He's with me,” Liane says before any of us can say anything else. She blinks innocently at Desiree. Desiree looks as if she can't believe what is going on.

     And I don't think I can believe it either.

     Just a few moments ago, I was kissing Liane. Kissing Liane. That was one of the worst of sins. I feel like a major player—staring at Desiree's expression.

     Like a jerk. Like I'm back in ninth and tenth grade, where being with Desiree was completely out of my league.

     But this time... Somehow... It feels worse.

     I know I shouldn't feel bad, because technically, Desiree and I are over. We have some leftover feelings, yes, but we're over. We shouldn't care.

     But I can't help myself from caring.

     And we had broken up because of a stupid argument about Drew Sorauren.

     There's silence around us for a few seconds as the words Liane had spoken finally sinks in. Desiree looks at me, her brown eyes full of hatred mixed with other emotions.

     “Y-you liar,” she says, almost inaudible.

     “What did he lie about?” Liane asks, sounding like the bitch she is. “Oh, wait—he promised to be with you forever and ever and ever. And you—you look like just the idiotic girl to fall for it.”

     There is no denying that Desiree's eyes are filling with tears now.

     “Obviously, Andrew had no interest in you. It was all a game. That's what guys do! Play games with your head! Luckily, I'm not one of those stupid girls to fall for it...”