Chapter Sixteen: Just Words

I enter my house and I think about what Peter had said.

     “Assuming we have souls.”

     That thought is a little too dark for my liking. I've always thought there is more to life on earth. We have souls—we live eternally. But Peter had opposed that thought.

     I would always think that when people die—they still exist. Their souls—they still burn bright even though a physical body has burned away.

     But now, I wonder—is there anything to prove that souls exist? Maybe we just cease to exist when we die. That thought gives me shivers. Maybe Winter's truly gone—as in she doesn't exist anymore.

     That's a haunting thought—I stop thinking about it and I head to my room.

     I don't really feel like doing anything right now. I don't want to watch the television either. I see the green notebook and I decide to read it. I'll go shower after a few entries.

     I open it to the third entry and start reading.

September 7th

     So nothing special really happened today... Joking! Everyday is special—okay, enough with all the hippie stuff.

     I woke up late today. So I got to school late. I went to the office when I got at school and I went through all this bitching with the office—oh shot! A bad word! At least I didn't say it out loud. Instead of washing my mouth with soap, I guess I'll wash my hand with soap...or my brain.

     So I walked in the office and asked for a late slip. I was about an hour late so first period class was almost over.

     One of them looked at me (I still can't remember all their names) and said, “you're one hour late!”

     “I know,” I said, “I overslept.” Happens to teenagers all the time, I wanted to add. But I had enough sense to keep my mouth shut. You couldn't talk with a bad attitude to adults—they'll punish you for it.

     I thought she would let me go, but she didn't. She asked for my name and reluctantly wrote my name down on a piece of paper. But she didn't hand it to me. She looked at me in the eye and said:

     “You're lucky it's only the second day of school—or else I would give you a full out detention. You only get a lunch detention. See me here right at the beginning of lunch and don't bother skipping or else I'll make it a month's detention.”

     Lunch detention? For being late? On the second day of school? And she said ONLY a lunch detention! That lady is crazy!

     But I knew better than to argue with her. So I just nodded and smiled politely—kissing some ass. I would love to talk back to them, but kissing ass makes them forgive you easier.

     But she wasn't falling for that and she ushered me away.

     I got to my first period class and gave the late slip. I saw some people look at me and heard them say 'who the hell is that?'.

     Sometimes, I hate being unnoticed. I mean—I know it was the first day of school, but seriously. I've been in this school for four years already.

     But being noticed isn't always good, so I just told myself that people not knowing me was a good thing.

     I sat down and class was over in a few minutes.