Chapter Twenty: Obtuse

September 12th

     I went to school in a bad mood. It was from yesterday. Being grounded just pissed me off.

     Like seriously. I could just punch someone. But fortunately, I wasn't raised violent, so I didn't actually punch someone. Also, I prevented myself from throwing a tantrum last night so I wouldn't break anything.

     I got to school and was in a foul mood for the rest of the day. I forgot about the whole Drew thing until now. In fact, I don't think I even glanced at him once.

     Peter was pretty worried, but Ari convinced him that I was okay.

     I guess I'm okay...

     Full story: after my mother left the house, I got bored. I didn't want to watch Sunday morning cartoons—they were boring.

     Easy as it sounds, I walked right out the door. Yep, I'm a bad ass.

     I looked back at my last entry. It says I tried to sneak out. I wrote it wrong. I DID sneak out. It felt great while it lasted. Part of me—I was scared that my mom would find out. Then I scolded myself and told myself to stop being such a little girl.

     I'm in twelfth grade, sheesh. A senior. I'm definitely not a little girl.

     Anyway, I didn't even make it to Desiree's house.

     On the way, I walked past a bakery. I was taking a shortcut. I could have gone to Arianna's house, but I decided not to. Desiree's house was closer and Andrew was probably there.

     NOT that I have a crush on Andrew. We already experimented that in ninth grade. Didn't work out. Plus, I would never have a crush on my friend's boyfriend. Even though some people can't help it, I know it'd probably never happen to me.

     He's pretty cute. But during that kiss after he redeemed himself...it didn't feel right.

     Anyways, the door of the bakery was open. The smell of bread crept through the air. I realized with a start that I had about ten dollars with me.

     I knew I wouldn't be able to hold this in my pocket. I would definitely spend this on SOMETHING.

     I walked in the store. There were only a few customers. I bought a few cookies before I left.

     I should have known that someone who knew my mother was in there.

     I went to Desiree's house (Andrew wasn't there, take that mom!) and we hung out for a while. We watched an old movie before I left and took the shortcut back home.

     When I got back home, my mom was sitting on a chair in the kitchen. My dad wasn't home. She turned around and glared at me.

     “Um, hi?”

     She was home. Dammit. I shouldn't have watched that movie with Desiree. We should have just did something else.

     “You snuck out.” It wasn't a question and I didn't answer.

     There was a moment of awkward silence before she said it again.

     “You snuck out.”

     I wanted to shrug but my mom would get mad that I was just shrugging it off.

     “I told you that you couldn't. What are you doing, Winterlyn?”