Chapter Eleven: In The Hands Of Arianna Golding

Friday. The last Friday before school ended.

     The last Friday I would spend as a high schooler.

     The last Friday...

     I sit in English class and stare blankly at the board. The test is damn easy. I'm finished. I wonder why we have to do this. Exams are already done—and we've already know which Universities or Colleges we're going to.

     Ms. Marr had warned the class that this test would count. I don't believe her. But it seems that some people have taken it seriously...like Desiree Lilian.

     Desiree sits beside me in this class. When I we had come in the classroom at different times, I had heard excited buzzing our way. No doubt that they're talking about us.

     I wonder if they think that Liane's article had split us.

     Absurd. I just contracted that stupid theory she made during my speech in the cemetery. I had kind of hoped that she looked stupid now, much to my cruelty. Unfortunately, it didn't make her look stupid. In fact, my speech might have made myself seem stupid.

     Andrew Campbell, the former druggie.

     At least I had the guts to stand up for Desiree. Though I doubt she cares now. She hasn't even talked to me this whole class.

     Involuntarily, I look at Desiree. She's focusing on her work. Her head and bent low and she's writing like mad. She doesn't even look at me.

     She's probably still mad at you. For the Liane thing, I think to myself. Stupid Liane.

     Finally, class ends. Ms. Marr collects the last few papers from some students as she dismisses us. Desiree is one of the first people out of the room. She thrusts her papers at Ms. Marr and hurries out the room, shoving some people away in process.

     It feels like everyone is looking at me at that point. Like they're expecting me to say something witty or explain Desiree's behaviour, or confirm that we're completely over.

     I swallow. I pretend that no one's looking at me and I stroll out of the room as calmly as I can. Thankfully, no one tries to stop me.

     I head to the library. It's a spare period. Without Desiree to talk to, I don't know what to do. Tomas, Peter and Con aren't in any of my classes. And we don't have spares together either.

     I don't want to sit around in the hallway, I literally have nothing to do. I reach the library and enter it, hoping that Desiree's here and that I can explain to her.

     What is there to explain? A voice inside my head asks me wickedly.

     A lot, I think back.

     I scan the library for Desiree. I see her, with a book open in her hands. I sigh, maybe this is a good time to talk to her—unlike in English class when everyone was staring at us.

     I start to head towards her until I notice someone sitting beside her.

     Drew Sorauren.

     I bunch my fist up in frustration. What does he want with Desiree? Can't he leave her alone? Can't he leave us alone?

     He has one arm around her while the other is on the screen of his phone.

     The sight of them makes me angry. I don't want to start a fight here, so I turn away before I can run up to him and punch him.

     No violence, I scold myself, that's not the person you are, Andrew.