Chapter Forty-Three: May Horrors

The moment I get back home, I open Winter's journal immediately. I'm going to read this to get through the week. There's no bag of Meth to distract me now. The next unread entry of her journal is set in May.

May, 1st

     It's May now. Grade Twelve is just flying past. Why does time past so quickly? Anyways, funny thing: Ex tried to approach me.

     I didn't swear at him and I didn't say the horrible things that I really wanted to say. The last day we talked was bad enough. I didn't like straight-on telling someone that I hated them. I liked to keep those horrible thought inside my head.

     It began like this:

     “Hey. What questions did we have to do again?”

     I could have kindly told him to ask the teacher. And look at the board. But I knew he was doing this because he wanted to talk to me. He could have just talked to me at the end of the school day, but perhaps he thought that I would be impossible again. So instead of making some snappy remark, I told him what we were suppose to do.

     “Thanks,” he said, smiling at me like he thought that smile was going to win me over. I grimaced and inwardly rolled my eyes. I wasn't some stupid little girl that he thought me to be.

     “You're welcome,” I said nonchalantly.

     Before he left, he said, “Winter, I'm sorry.”

     It kind of surprised me because he actually sounded sincere. “Sorry for what?” I asked, trying to sound as clueless as possible.

     He shrugged. “Just...things. Alright? I'm sorry for...hurting you. I'm sorry for leading you on. Just... I'm sorry. Is that enough?”

     “I'm not hurt over anything,” I said, trying to forget that I had told him how much I hated him before. “And apology accepted. I'm not hung over or anything.” I was trying to convince myself.

     “Alright,” Ex said. “And sorry about saying how we couldn't be friends or anything.”

     I faked a laugh. But right then, I actually felt like crying. It just felt...so emotional. To me. Maybe it meant nothing to him. Maybe it did. “That was a stupid thing,” I managed to say lightly.

     Ex seemed to have a huge burden off his shoulders. “That's...good. See you around, Winterlyn.”

     He smiled and left. I think that was when I forgave him. He may have been a jerk. He may be arrogant and insensitive. But he would come around whether it took weeks or months. In this case, it had been months.

     It's about time I forgave him too and start to call him by name again.

May, 4th

     And just when I thought it was over...

     I saw the...stalker again. This time, he wasn't just watching me from afar. Yes, I know it's a man for sure now...

     I was walking home today and I saw him. I panicked and I walked a little faster but he picked up the pace. At one point, I turned around to see him. He was very close. Not close enough to see his face, which was hidden beneath a cap. But I was close enough to see that he had a built body like a man. Not like a grown man...more like a young adult... Someone around my age.

     I don't really want to write about it right now...

May, 12th

     Okay, I should have written a little more this week, but I was honestly feeling really bad about the whole...stalker.