Chapter Forty-Four: Pisces Boy

July, 29th. Today is Desiree's birthday. I've almost forgotten. Luckily, I had gotten a last minute reminder from one of Arianna's texts. If I hadn't gone, Desiree would take it personally. I hadn't even try to contact her after the last visit to my house. My parents haven't asked me where Desiree has gone. It's doubtful that they even care that she's gone. At least my mother thinks I'm not doing anything 'inappropriate' now.

     I had wanted to just stay home and finish the last few pages of Winter's journal, but I thought better of it. I don't want to hurt Desiree and she'll think that I don't care about anything she does if I don't go.

     Girls can be such a bother.

     But I don't want to leave Desiree hanging like that. I've left her hanging enough times back in ninth and tenth grade.

     Arianna had told me that Desiree is just staying home and that she hadn't planned anything special. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with me. But I can't have that much of an effect on her, can I?

     Winter might have killed herself because of her unrequited emotions for you, a small voice in my head whispers. No—she can't have. I can't have done anything to her. Something had happened to Winter on May, 26th but I don't know what. I don't remember talking to her much during the month of May... Maybe that's it...

     No. It's stupid to think about. I'll just finish reading the last few pages of her journal before I come to any conclusion.

     When I get off the bus, I see a flash of blue from the corner of my eyes. I frown and look around for the source but I don't find one. It must have been my imagination...

     That's all pushed away from my mind as soon as I see Desiree's house. Immediately, my mind wanders back to Winter. And she lives—no, she lived not very far from here.

     I approach Desiree's house. I'm not sure if Arianna is there yet and I don't want to be alone with Desiree yet. I'm almost sure she'll throw a chair at me when she sees me...unless Arianna is there to restrain her.

     I hold my breath as I wait for the door to open. Please be Arianna, please be Arianna...

     The door swings open and I'm greeted with the sight of my red-headed friend. She grins cheerfully and me and I let out a sigh of relief. “Though you wouldn't come,” Arianna says. “You know, look for new girlfriends and all if hard work. Well...not really for a guy like you—”

     I cut her off. “Did you tell her I was going to come?” I ask. “I swear, you know what Desiree does when she's angry—”

     Arianna laughs. “Relax! Geez! It's not like she's going to come with a knife and kill you.” The laughter becomes a bit choked and I know who she's thinking about: Winter. To keep our mind off the cause of Winter's death, she quickly moves on. “I told her you were coming. She was kind of mad, but who can blame her? Actually, I'm not sure what the hell has happened between you two. Another fight? Please don't drag me in it. Desiree looks ready to play messenger with me as the owl carrying the letter.”

     “Ha-ha,” I say, unamused. “Sorry that I was concerned about my safety.”

     Arianna scowls at me. “She's not going to kill you, trust me.”

     “Since when have you become trustworthy?” I ask under my breath. She doesn't hear me say anything so she just turns and walks back into the house. After I have said that, I think about Arianna being Avery. It's an odd thing to think about so I push it out of my mind. I've been pushing a lot of things out of my mind lately.