Chapter Nineteen: Never

Turns out, Arianna started bawling like the other girls after she had given us our hug. Ms. Loreen had to open a whole new pack of tissue boxes for Arianna alone.

     I think she's still crying now.

     Desiree's sitting in my room, staring out the window. The sky is dark now. School's over. Officially. I'm no longer a high school student.

     I had hidden Winter's journal from Desiree. As much as I had wanted her to see her journal, I didn't want to show it to her at the same time. Call it greed or selfishness, but I knew Desiree would probably break down at the sight of that thing. Though I may give it to her after I've finished reading it...

     No, I probably won't. I don't think she'll want to read it anyways. But it depends on what's in the notebook.

     Anyways, Desiree probably won't want it. So I'm not going to show it to her.

     “I still can't believe your parents let me in. After all you said about Liane,” Desiree says, staring out the window.

     “Your cousins are over,” I say, “you don't have room to stay.”

     “Technically,” she begins, “I do. It's my home, after all. But...it would cause problems. Or I could have went to Ari's house or—”

     She trails off. I know she was going to say 'Winter's house'. But Winter's dead. I doubt her parents would let Desiree stay over at Winter's house. A reminder of their dead daughter.

     “I'm glad you're over, anyways,” I say. “Just...you know.”

     “In your perverted thoughts,” Desiree jokes. I frown at her. I do not have constant perverted thoughts!

     “Not true,” I say. “I'm not a pervert. I'm...me. I'm Andrew Campbell,” I say.

     Desiree laughs. “That's what you said when your mother was asking if they were sure we wouldn't...you know...do anything.”

     My parents think that we might have sex. No surprise. It's an uncomfortable idea with them. I had promised that I wouldn't have sex until marriage. Wouldn't want a baby now, even if it's with my girlfriend. We're too young for that.

     “Andrew! What's Desiree doing here?” My mother calls. She sounds agitated. I resist the urge to smile.

     “Um, hello, Ms. Campbell,” Desiree says tentatively.

     My mother nods a greeting to Desiree and then she glares at me. I shrug. It's not like I have a lot to explain, really.

     Desiree stand by the doorway uncomfortably.

     “Care to explain?” My mother asks.

     “Desiree's cousins from Vancouver are over at her house today. She's here with me.”

     “Can't she go to...Arianna's house?” My mother is clearly suspicious. Luckily, my father isn't home yet, so he's not in this conversation. But I'm sure my mother would tell him and I'd never hear the end of it tomorrow. Fortunately, I don't have siblings to bother me about it.

     “Well,” I say, “she asked me first. I'm pretty sure Ari's busy.”

     “How about Liane, your girlfriend?”

     I pause. “Liane isn't with me. I hate her. I thought we already made it clear. Desiree Lilian is my girlfriend, not Liane Chau.”