Chapter Nine: Drew And Eulogy

We arrive at the cemetery. It actually doesn't look much like what you would think a cemetery would look like. It's not dark and creepy. It's actually quite beautiful, with it's nice green fields and bright vibrant flowers.

     I decide that—when I die, I want to be buried here. Did Winter chose this cemetery? She's smart, if she did. It seems like a nice resting place.

     I see many people already. We're a bit early. And I kind of doubt this is everyone. So I prepare myself for more people later on.

     I scan the crowd of people so far for a girl with dyed red hair. Liane Chau—to say. Fortunately, I don't think I see her. Liane's hair is more pure red than natural red. The only other pure red-headed girl I know is Arianna. And some other girls from school—but they're the ones who text too much and put on too much makeup.

     And I doubt they would come early.

     I see Arianna sitting on the grass. We head over to the group. My parents start talking to Winter's parents and I leave them to go see Arianna. She's reading something. It painfully reminds me of how Desiree would read books in the middle of a lecture.

     “Ari!” I call. Arianna looks up instantly with a scowl set firmly in place. I frown as I walk over to her and sit down beside her. I don't think I'm suppose to sit on cemetery grass because... I don't know. It doesn't feel very respectful. But I do it anyways.

     “Hey Andrew,” she says and then she ducks her head back down and continues reading whatever the hell is on her lap.

     “You should hold it up when you read it,” I say. “I don't think it'll do your neck much justice if you read it like that,” I continue, indicating to the paper on her laps. She looks up and glares at me.

     “Mind your own business, Campbell,” she says with annoyance.

     I hold both my hands up in a 'not my fault' gesture. “Just saying,” I say.

     I see Arianna roll her eyes.

     She's not in a good mood today. But I'm not in a good mood either. And I doubt Desiree would skip in joyfully. This day kind of feels like it's cursed.

     “What are you reading?” I ask.

     Arianna doesn't answer. I don't push her to answer. I just sit there and stare at the sky. The sky is nice shade of blue without a cloud. It looks beautiful, really. It makes the garden—ah, cemetery look peaceful.

     Winter's final resting place. Cloudless blue skies, green grass and colour flowers. I remember that she'd always joke that her final resting place would be in a creepy cemetery with skeletons and monsters.

     Arianna speaks suddenly. It startles me.

     “This Liane Bitch girl is a bitch.”

     “You just said that she was a bitch when you called her Liane Bitch,” I say and rip off a piece of grass and start to tie it in knots.

     “Yeah, so?”

     “Never mind,” I say and I throw the piece of grass away from  me.

     “I hate her. Look at this stupid article she wrote. Absolutely messed-up. That girl is messed. And everyone's saying that she's so nice and all that. Like, how blind are they?” Arianna then starts swearing and I tune out on what's she's saying by thinking about Desiree.

     I know that Desiree is going to show up. Why wouldn't she? She wouldn't skip a funeral because of a boy that broke her heart. She's not that weak. And she's not that stupid and selfish.