Chapter Thirty-Eight: Lost

January 27th

     I haven't told any of my friends about my suspicions. I don't think I should burden them with my paranoia. Especially after I got 'pregnant'.

     Ex approached me. Again. God, I didn't want to deal with him anymore, but honestly, he just had to but into things. Couldn't he just leave me alone?

     “Winter,” he said, trying to hold eye contact with me. I refused to look at him and focused on kicking a rock away. “Winter, you have to hear me out.”

     “Aren't we over already?” I asked him, feeling anger creep through me. I tried to force to down so i wouldn't start yelling at him to leave me alone. “Please go away. We're not friends, remember?”

     Ex gave an exasperated sigh. “I don't care,” he said harshly. “Just listen to me!” He grabbed my shoulders and I jerked away from him, almost falling on the ground in process.

     “Wow,” I said, “abuse much?” I started to leave but he stepped in front of me, blocking my way. Persistent bastard.

     “Winter,” he said again, “are you pregnant?” Before I could answer, he added, “You could have told me! God! Why do you have to let the whole world know that you're pregnant because of my new girlfriend?”

     I rolled my eyes. “I'm not pregnant,” I said calmly. I hated how he was shouting. A few people were giving us odd looks. “We never even slept together, if you can't remember. I was never at one of your drunken parties, so we didn't sleep together while we were drunk of whatnot. Is that clear?” I explained. I expected Ex to say something stupid like, 'I sleep with all my ex-girlfriends!'. But I was wrong and he didn't say anything.

     “Sorry,” he said, frowning. “I just thought...”

     “Is it because there's not a single girlfriend that you've never slept with?” I challenged. He opened his mouth to say something but I beat him to it. “Guess I broke your lucky record.”

     He looked like he wanted to say something but thought better of it because he thought that talking to me was wasting his time. Like usual, I left the school. I didn't expect him to chase after me and he didn't.

     Now I know what to expect from a popular egomaniac guy.

January 28th

     The art class threw me a little birthday party. It was a nice day, after all. Liane didn't talk shit about me like usual. It was pretty good.

     Though I had to relive the whole week because I wanted to tell Aiden. I didn't want to sound too paranoid, but I had to tell him what I saw during Thursday night. He looked troubled when I told him what happened. He asked if I called the police or not and I told him I didn't.

     “You might be overreacting,” he said, “but be careful.”

     Of course I would be careful. What did he think I would do?

January 30th

     I just came to say that Ex has resorted to making out with Liane right in front of my face. It felt horrible, but I looked away and pretended that I didn't care, because you know what? I DON'T CARE.

     But if I don't care...why am I obsessing over this? I have to stop. It's almost like the beginning of twelfth grade all over again. I don't need that. Ex can go make out with whoever he wants whether it's me or Liane. I don't care anymore. I'm not going to hurt over Ex. He can go screw himself.