Chapter Fourteen: Butterflies Are Free

“Why are you all sweaty?”

     Arianna looks over at me. I'm breathing hard, my hair is plastered to my forehead and I know I'm sweating. I touch my forehead and feel the wetness.

     “I was playing basketball with Con, Peter and Tom.”

     “Just three people?”

     “No, there were other people too. But I forgot their names.”

     “Um, oh-kay...” she says. “Why did you come to my house?”

     “Just wondering,” I start off, “if Desiree was here. Don't you guys usually gather in one place and gossip?” That was what girls do. And that was what Desiree, Arianna and Winter did in tenth grade. They barely did it in twelfth grade.

     Arianna gives me an odd look. “Not anymore,” she says. “Are you feeling okay?”

     I nod. “I'm fine,” I say. “I just want to see Desiree,” I tell her.

     “Amends?”

     I sigh. “It's not going to be easy. I just want to talk to her. I hope she would understand.”

     “Desiree doesn't forgive people that easily. Especially if she's in the arms of Drew Sorauren. Drew's a big player. He usually got any girl by just looking at them.”

     I think back to Winter's journal where she had described Drew. Dreamy—that's what she wrote.

     “Desiree's not like that,” I say. I realize that my voice is tight—like I'm hurt.

     Arianna hears that too because she gives me an apologetic look. “Maybe you can see her...when you're not sweaty...?”

     “Um, yeah,” I say awkwardly. “But I just want to explain a few things to her.”

     “You can go to her house,” Arianna says. “And ring her doorbell instead of mine. Good idea, no?”

     I smile. “Good idea, haven't thought of that one,” I joke.

     “I know, I'm fabulous, aren't I?” Arianna smiles. “Now go and see her instead of bothering me. I was sleeping.”

     “You were?” I frown. “It's three.”

     “I was awake until seven last night. Well, seven is technically this morning now.”

     “Yeah, see you,” I say. I start to head off and I hear the door close. I start to head towards Desiree's house. It's not far from here.

     After I had finished reading the entry, my doorbell had rung. Tom was there and he asked if I wanted to play basketball with them. They were playing in the court nearby my house. Our houses—really. They lived here, uptown, like I did. Instead of downtown like Arianna, Winter and Desiree.

     After a few hours, I had changed clothes and took a bus straight downtown. I didn't know why, but I had an urge to see Desiree suddenly. Like a sudden craving for chocolate or something.

     I saw Arianna's house first. I wanted to check, just in case, if Desiree was there.

     Arianna and Desiree don't live very far away from each other. A ten minute walk, really.

     Since it's hot, I had begun to sweat again. My clothes are still dry, but I doubt it would stay that way for long. I think about what Arianna said about seeing her when I'm not sweating. But I'm already here, so I don't want to turn back.