Chapter Forty-Five: Nothing Left

It's dark outside. I'm wide awake. I can't sleep. It's past midnight, I suppose. But that doesn't stop me from opening up the green book. The pink ribbon on the front is a little worn from my throwing it around.

June, 5th

     I've been hanging around Drew after school a lot... I just don't want to go back. My parents actually seem okay with it... I feel so horrible.

     I told Drew everything. Every single horrible thing. Well, almost everything. I left out some...vital parts. He didn't need to know that. It's funny how I can say it out loud but I can't force myself to write it... Anyways, Andrew sensed something was wrong. He talked to me this morning and asked me if there was anything wrong. I wanted to tell him, but at the same time I didn't want to talk about it anymore.

     But how do you put something as...major as that behind me?

     I want to call the police and spill my guts about what happened. Drew told me to. But...

     When I got home today, there was something in the mailbox for me. My mom hadn't opened so she didn't see what was inside. I wish she had opened it... But she didn't. If she had opened it, I could have explained everything. But I couldn't bring myself to now because she didn't know.

     I opened it and inside was HIS neat handwriting. I hated that. I hated how innocent he had made it seem. Him and his innocent blue eyes—staring at you like he had done nothing wrong— It's horrible.

     It said:

     I frown. The page is ripped here. I don't know where that ripped piece of paper is. The writing continues with the next entry.

June, 6th

     Despite my...horror. Today is Arianna's birthday. I didn't want to look like I was sulking over anything so I tried to be as cheerful as possible.

     Andrew noticed. Again. If he was noticing, I was doing a horrible job on it. He's usually so self-absorbed. He asked me what was wrong and all that. But... I didn't want to tell him. Though he was so...honest about it. Sincere. What a big contrast. Andrew's sincere blue eyes and HIS 'innocent' blue eyes. I wish...

     I don't know what I wish. But if I only had one wish, I would wish that May, 26th never happened the way it did happen.

     But if wishes were horses, even the beggars would ride.

June, 9th

     HE came today. I wanted to hate him but I couldn't. He didn't know what he had done. But no—he did know. He told me not to tell anyone. Or else. I didn't know what that meant, but it didn't sound good. Was he going to try the same thing he did to me to Desiree and Arianna? No—I couldn't let him. I couldn't tell.

     “You were the one...stalking me,” I said shakily before he left. He smiled at me. It was the same horrible smile right before he Did That. I wanted to hurl. I wanted to curl up in a corner and forget everything.

     How had I stumbled across this horrible misfortune?

     I had no idea.

     “Well,” he said, “it began as a payment.” He grinned as he caught the horror on my face. “A payment from...someone who isn't important anymore. She just wanted me to scare you. She didn't know what I would do. Of course, she just thought I was a stupid animal with no thoughts at her disposal.” He licked his lips and I cringed. “That little girl was wrong.”