Chapter Twenty-Five: Christopher

“Morning,” a voice says in my ear.

     I groan. It's so loud. I roll over and throw a pillow over my face.

     “Andrew, wake up!”

     “Go away...” I mutter, “I'm sleeping.”

     “It's morning!”

     The pillow is thrown on the floor. A hand tugs at me shirt in an attempt to pull me off the bed.

     “Omph! You're heavy!”

     “Go away,” I mutter. “Leave me alone...” I just want to sleep...

     There's some sort of soft pressure against my lips and I smile. It feels...nice... But the pressure is gone as soon as it came.

     “Like the kisses, don't you?” There's another soft pressure on my mouth. I open my mouth slightly and the pressure recedes.

     “Come on! It's a holiday! July first!”

     “I don't give a damn,” I mutter.

     It's silent. I realize that they're gone and I smile to myself. Peace and quiet—

     Cold water splashes on my face. My eyes snap open to see Desiree with a water bottle looming above me.

     “What the heck was that?” I gasp, wiping the water off my face.

     “I couldn't think of another way to wake you,” Desiree says. “Come on, it's Canada day. We're going to set fireworks, remember? You said so yesterday.”

     “I'm tired,” I answer and flop back onto the bed.

     “No! Andrew, wake up!” Desiree holds the water bottle up. “It's not empty yet,” she says as threateningly as she can. She sounds cute, not threatening.

     “Were you kissing me?” I ask with a slight smile on my face. More like a smirk, actually.

     Desiree blushes. “What about it?” she asks.

     “You're absolutely cute,” I say. “That sounds completely unmanly coming from me.”

     “I find that cute,” Desiree says shyly. “You being unmanly. Well—to certain extents.”

     “Desiree finds unmanly boyfriends cute,” I announce. “I'll keep that in mind. Tell me to go to the nearest bookstore and buy all those insanely romantic books. Preferably the insanely romantic vampire books targeted at teenage girls.”

     “Andrew! I said to certain extents! That's going way to far! And I hate vampire romances.”

     I give her an innocent look. “Why? Does hot men sucking blood not appeal to you?”

     “No. It does not,” Desiree says simply. “It's really gross, if you think about it.”

     “Then don't think about it.”

     Desiree makes it face. “That's hard not to think about, especially if your boyfriend sucks blood.”

     “I suck blood?” I ask.

     Desiree shakes her head. “No! I don't mean that... Never mind... It's twelve now, so we might as well go get lunch.”

     “Yeah,” I say. “Um...fast food?”

     “Sure,” Desiree says, “but we can't make it a habit.”

     “I won't, I promise,” I say. “But I need to use the washroom first.” By the looks of it, Desiree has already been to the washroom and back.