Chapter Thirty-Four: Romance

December 25th

     Merry Christmas, journal! Even inanimate objects should be allowed to celebrate!

     It was quite normal today. My parents and I stayed home the whole day. We opened presents on the night of Christmas so...

     My cousin's gifts for us had already arrived in the box that they sent us. I mainly got clothes. No one sent me any cosmetics. I rarely wear any makeup.

     I gave my parents their gifts. They seemed pretty happy with it, so I'm happy that my presents weren't complete fails.

     Drew's at his Christmas party right now... I don't really want to go, but I'm slightly curious about what wild things are happening at his party. But there's a part of me that doesn't want to know. Curiosity killed the cat, as they say.

December 26th

     My mom allowed me to leave the house for Boxing Day. I have a whole two weeks after today for break... I think I'm just going to watch TV and go on the computer. And play some instruments once in a while.

     I hung out with Arianna and Desiree again today. I didn't really buy anything because I didn't want to spend my money. But Arianna and Desiree came out of the mall today with two big bags.

     Anyway, I'm probably not going to write in here for the Winter Break. I have a feeling that my week is going to be pretty boring. I can probably just write about my whole break on...Sunday, January 1st.

     I close the journal and put it away in the drawer. I yawn and lie on my bed. I'm tired after today. I don't know how Desiree still has the energy to play with the sparklers. I look out the window. It's quite dark outside.

     The door to my room bursts open. “Andrew!” Desiree calls, sounding happy.

     I groan. “Can't you just let me sleep?” I mutter, mostly to myself. I roll over so my face is buried in the pillow. I wonder if Desiree's going to throw one of the sparklers on me just so she can get me to sit up.

     “Don't you want to set more fireworks?” Desiree asks me a little too innocently like she knows that I'm tired. “It's really fun!”

     “No thanks,” I grumble. “Leave me alone.”

     “Fine, be a grouch,” Desiree says before leaving. She hadn't sounded upset, so I'm sure she had known that I wouldn't have gotten up to set off more fireworks.

     I sigh in relief as the darkness and silence wraps around me, lulling me into sleep. I cross my eyes and let the darkness take over.

* * *

     “What do you think?” Desiree asks as she holds out a beaded flower for me to see. “Does it look like a rose? Or some random red blotch?”

     I study it for a while. “It's pretty good,” I say. Desiree doesn't want to be dote on. She wants honesty. I pick at the petals. “But it's...a little floppy.”

     Desiree sighs. “I know,” she says. “I've been practising this for ages. I never seem to get it right,” she says dejectedly.

     “You'll get better,” I say, attempting to encourage her. “Don't just give up on it.”

     “Right,” Desiree says, examining her rose closely. “I think I didn't make this tight enough...” It's silent around us while Desiree is examining the flaws of her rose. It's been four days since the fireworks were set loose. I haven't seen any sign of Chris since then... Speaking of my obnoxious neighbour...