3 - "A New Life"

Iris and Cilia sat on the steps of their apartment building, looking out at everybody that past since they had nothing better to do. It was early in the morning and they already shared their bowl of cereal for breakfast. Tom was not there to bother them and Ms. Pat was out at work. The cable bill was cut off since the bill hadn't been paid. And they already reread the only three picture books in the house thousands of times already, so sitting outside was the next best thing.

It was 100° degrees outside, one of the hottest days of the Summer yet, everyone was baking. Almost prompting everyone to walk around like they were on the set of a porno. But for the twins, they wore different colored knock off Polo shirts, with the logo being a Camel instead of a Horse, which on top of that, wasn't even positioned on the right side of the shirt. A dirty brownish skirt meant to be white covered Iris's lower half while Cilia wore ripped up, moldy army cargos shorts that carried a slight smell.

Sitting on the hot concrete steps, Cilia held a loose leaf paper in her hand she turned into a paper fan, using it to fan herself and Iris.

"What about her?" Iris asked, watching a chubby girl with glasses who past in a black tank top that showed her pudgy belly with tight bright shorts that did nothing to hide the cellulite and leg fat.

"She looks like a Mary-Ann." Cilia said bored, with her head in her hand.

"A Mary-Ann?" Iris asked curiously, looking at her sister.

"Like the fat nerdy chick who got teased all her life and one boy tried to talk to her so now she's trying to look cute all the time, but it's not working."

Iris smiled, shaking her head.

"What about him?" Cilia asked, nodding her head at a handsome dark skin man that walked by with no shirt on. She really wasn't in the mood to be talking in all this heat, but Iris kept talking to her and she wanted to entertain her in either way she could.

"That's a Quentin."

"Why Quentin?"

"I don't know, he just looks like a cute bad boy with a gun that's named Quentin." Iris giggled.

Cilia rolled her eyes, beginning to fan her sister. Her arm was hurting and she knew her paper fan wasn't doing shit, but creating more heat but she at least hoped it was working for her sister.

"Okay," Iris said biting her bottom lip, looking around for somebody else. "What ab—"

"What you doing?"

Both girls looked over shocked, seeing the boy that fought Marvin for them take a seat on the stairs next to Iris.

"Allele?!" Iris said surprised and excited.

"Ew, what you doing here? And don't worry about what I'm doing, mind your business!" Cilia snapped.

"Well I ain't worried about what you doing 'cause when I asked, I was talking to your sister, not you." Allele said, cutting his eyes at Cilia. Allele then looked at Iris then smiled, "And what's up baby girl, you good?"