36 - "One Step Back"

The gold colored doorknob fell from the door, creating a loud crash when it hit the hallway floor. It then echoed for three seconds just before silence retook. Breeze looked around one more time to make sure the coast was clear before slipping inside of the apartment. He'd only been in Cilia's neighborhood one time...he believed it was on the night he came to pick her up to meet his family.

Now Breeze stood inside her apartment as quiet and stealthy as a cat, listening for the slightest sound. The house was pitch black and he couldn't hear anything. He couldn't tell if anyone was home because Cilia didn't have a car and he didn't know if anyone else who lived with her did, so he wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

He stood by the front door, wondering if he would be heard if he took a step. Are these floorboards creaky? All he needed was to catch them slipping from behind and he would slit their throat easily with the eight inch knife he pulled out from his side. He wasn't a gun type of guy for everything. He didn't know this area well so he didn't know how fast five-o responded. So he was not about to cause a scene with bullets.

He'd make it quick. Across the throat or in and out the heart. Breeze moved through the place quietly, but paused when he saw a light coming from behind a closed door. The entire apartment was pitch black except for the one light under the door. He narrowed his eyes as he tried to see if he could see any shadows or movement under the door, but all he could see was steam and hear the shower running.

Breeze moved closer to the door and pressed his ear against it, but the shower was so loud that was all he could hear. He looked over his shoulder to keep aware of his surroundings. The front door was left open a crack and his eyes were beginning to adjust to the dark atmosphere, so the apartment with dimly lit by the hallway light. He turned back to the door and gently turned the knob, but the door was locked. He raised his hand and gently knocked, but got no response.

He knocked a little louder, peeking over his shoulder again to make sure he wasn't being snuck up on, but he got no response from behind the bathroom door. Breeze began to pound on the door and at this point it was pretty clear whoever was on the other side could clearly hear him. Breeze raised his foot and kicked the door. A huge crack formed in the center before he kicked it a second time and the door went flying inward.

Steam rushed out, hitting him in the face. The bathroom was completely fogged up with piping hot steam from the shower. Breeze was expecting a scared 'hello' from somebody, but no questions. He could barely see but he managed to find his way to the shower and when he pulled the curtain back, nobody was in it.

He turned the pipe off and looked around the small space. After a second he turned to leave and tried the first door. It was a bedroom, a king sized bed along with a bunch of clothes, furniture and everything, but it was empty. He tried the door across the hall and realized it was only a storage closet packed with a bunch of junk. There was one more door and he opened it, coming into another empty bedroom. This one had a Queen sized bed with furniture and a bunch of clothes as well, but nobody.