1 - "Ditmas Park"

2006

Brooklyn, New York

                It was a hot and humid 85° degree Summer day as all the kids stood in the center of Ditmas park. Kids jumped up yelling and screaming at the brawl taking place while they all circled the two children rolling around scuffling. The only one among the crowd who wasn't so hyped about the fight was 10-year-old Iris Hunter. Instead of cheering and yelling out fighting advice to the two brawlers, sixty pound Iris stood with a face full of snot and tears because her twin sister Cilia, was one of the one's fighting.

                "I bet she wash him!"

                "Whoop his butt girl!"

                "Snuff her, Marvin!"

                "Beat that hoe ass!"

               "They buggin' out!"

                Iris stood with her hands over her ears even though she could still hear the kids yelling things. She was standing among the crowd calling and begging Cilia to stop fighting, but she couldn't be heard over the noise. She felt terrible because the fight was her fault. Cilia and her were playing with a basketball one of the park volunteers gave them; and while only for a second Cilia had ran to the bathroom, a boy came and took the ball from her. When Cilia returned and asked what happened to the ball, Iris cried and pointed to the boy that took it from her. Cilia was already halfway across the park before Iris could stop her. When Cilia asked for the ball back and didn't get it, the fight was on and popping. Iris was mad at herself because if she was thinking she should have just told Cilia one of the park officials took it back.

               Ten year old Cilia kept her arm locked around Marvin's neck choking him while his right arm was locked around her neck doing the same. Both of the upper half of their bodies were crouched down from the headlocks they had each other in. The girl had to keep her left leg stretched out to keep Marvin from flipping her over. For his twelve year old age he was bigger than he should of been and even from his breathing where Cilia could tell he would probably get tired quick, one slip up too early and his weight would easily be the advantage over her. On top of the fact she was already underweight for her age.

               Marvin began doing the same thing Cilia knew he was about to. He tried flipping her, but the muscles in her legs tightened up keeping her grounded while she leaned her weight on him.