The Promissory Note of Jeremiah Renfield

Dear Trista,

For what it's worth, I want to tell you that I'm sorry, and that I will make this right – you have my word.

Yes, I know that my word means less than nothing to you now, but I offer it, along with this document, notarized by the Third Chair of the Weisz Institute, and bound by all of the oaths and laws that such a contract entails.

It isn't much, but it is all I have to give, and I only hope that one day, you will find the grace within yourself to forgive me.

Yours,

Jeremiah

Promissory Note

FOR VALUE TAKEN, the undersigned, Jeremiah Renfield-Jewell – Bonded Mage of the 4th Circle (may our spirits be pure) – hereby acknowledges the Blood Price owed to Trista Gregory – Witch-Daughter of the Barbery Coven, and promises on his honor and by those laws that bind this world, to recover the souls of Phillipe and Allison Gregory, who were lost to the Wandering Spring due to the negligence of Renfield-Jewell.

He agrees to be bound by oath and blood to enter into negotiation with the Ferry Man of that dark place, and to find a way to return those lost spirits to the mortal coil.

He further agrees to complete this task before the rising of the next new Moon, or within a period agreed upon by Gregory.

Should Renfield-Jewell fail to complete this quest to the satisfaction of Gregory, he will be stripped of all rights and privileges as a Mage, stripped of flesh and bone and sinew, stripped of his very essence and made to walk the Earth for eternity as a wraith.

His spirit shall never cross the Wandering Spring, and his soul shall never rest, nor know peace. He will be as the ghosts that haunt this world, the shadows that we hold our light against.

Furthermore, he agrees to relinquish his right to appeal this judgement, and to be bound by it until the final sun sets over the final sky.

This great price shall be paid for the two lives that he has taken, and by ancient right, shall satisfy the Ferry Man if nothing else will.

Renfield-Jewell agrees to these terms, and with our approval, they will be so.

Witness,

Fabricia Hofer, Third Chair of the Weisz Institute