Recursive Rejection

From: Wilder

To: mcallowell@mmail.cc

Subject: Your Submission to Wilder Horses

June 6th, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Dear Mrs. Martha Callowell,

We've recently had the pleasure of reviewing your submission, "Recursive Rejection." In fact, we've had the pleasure of reviewing all the copies of the submission that have graced our mailboxes, email spam folders, and doorways since last Friday, and have even read the return address labels of the eighty-seven copies that showed up at our door this morning.

We want you to understand, we want to assure you, that your work has received the most careful consideration. It has received such careful consideration, so often, that we are finding it difficult to get other things done around the office.

Your work lines our floors and our desks, is taped up on all of our windows, and has even found its way into a bouquet of flowers that arrived in our break room last Tuesday from sources unknown.

After all of this consideration, we've decided that the piece isn't right for us in its current form, not because it failed some litmus test of literary quality – in truth – we adored it. The reason we rejected your work is simply because we suspect that you're not quite done with us yet.

There seems to be some kind of meaning, some rhyme or reason behind the the number and providence of the copies we've received in exchange for each of your previous rejections, and for the life of us, we can't figure it out.

Half the office believes that you're some fiendishly mad genius, who has chosen our humble house as the home for her latest piece of pop art masterpiece – the other half thinks you're dangerously unhinged, and are a bit afraid of what might happen if we were to stop playing along.

Whether one or both of these are true, this will mark the fourteenth rejection of the project, and we're excited to see the result.

Just know that we are committed to sending you these rejections, until either you run out of ink, or we run out space.

After which, we can discuss what we might do to get your work published.

Kind Regards,

The Editors