Chapter Six

• Dedicated to Tara Kay Long

So there was a song Jake was listening to on his way to school today. The Greatest by Michelle Willians. You know when you hear a song over the radio or something and how it plays through your head through the rest of the day. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                 Jake

My confidence fizzed out all over again. 

Its been a busy day.

Then I waited.

Been at practice until dark.

‘Jake please don’t squeal like a school girl,’ I had to tell myself.

We’ve both been productive.

I think with all of us teenagers the suspense of next text is what we feed off of.

Tomorrow is looking to be another productive day.

With a groan to myself, I agreed.

Same here, parent’s haven’t let me off the hook yet. Fought myself an army of weeds today.

Now I regretted my last sentence because it seemed so lame.

Should beat getting helmet hair.

Wow, pretty boy status!

Maybe we should switch jobs tomorrow. I really hate weeds. More like they really hate me!

I heard recently you wanted to be on the team.

We texted from then on until midnight. I kind of hoped that wouldn’t become a habit. But for right now, it was great! We never ran out things to talk about when it came to football. Neither of us considered making a career out of it but it sure was nice to get caught up in something other than TV. He didn’t watch a lot of TV either which was another thing we had in common. I didn’t go to sleep until I got a goodnight text from him.

____________________________

Danny and I walked past each other saying hello at the same time when went separate ways in the lobby to get to our homerooms. Daniel found me on my way to Gym and told me not to keep his boy up too late very often. He also said he would be ok with that much later. 

I got the joke much later. 

Heather was out of sorts lately, or at least she pretended to be. 

The inseparable cousins were still with Katie and Andrea. It would be so weird not seeing them altogether. All the girls got along like a house on fire. Charles and Jimmy were talking about Marcus. The good news was that Marcus would be coming back to school tomorrow. 

“I’m still going to have more community service to do today,” I told everyone that was listening, “And I think I am winning the war.”

“Thank God!” Nick or Nikko said sumptuously.