Chapter Nineteen

Here it is. The moment I have been saving up for. Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. Yeah you guys may have heard that song plenty but it fits the chapter. You'll see why.~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                    Danny

“I had been having sex with my best friends dad because he had cancer and that he didn’t want to tell his son. He said he would tell his son if I had sex with him a few times. I just told Daniel this today and he ran off a few hours ago.”

I felt so stupid and naïve but heck at the time I had nothing to loose. Until now.

The look on Jakes face when I told him that made his eyes tear up. I felt so horrible. How could I have allowed this to go that far?

“Danny that is seriously fucked up.”

Jake looked like he needed a moment when he put both hands on each hip. Then he leaned into the garage door.

“I’m not judging,” he told me, “This was before we dated right?”

His eye’s pleaded for me to tell him yes.

“Yes,” I told him the truth.

Then Jakes mouth started moving in odd directions. I could only look at him for a few seconds then back at the ground only to look at him for a few seconds again. Inside I was screaming with fear at the thought of being rejected. I may have betrayed my best friend but I didn’t want to loose Jake at the same time. Not after everything that’s happened.

“Oh God,” Jake said with his voice trembling he put a finger across his teeth between his lips and squatted down on the ground. That was odd to me somehow. “I am so sorry.”

He wasn’t rejecting me?

Suddenly he popped up again and put his arms around me. He was crying for me. I didn’t know what to do. I was glad he didn’t reject me but I didn’t consider what I would do if he didn’t reject me.

I pulled him tighter into my arms, this was the kind boy that accepts me, stupidity and all.

“Can you tell me,” he looked up into my eyes mirroring my pain, “Everything?”

I nodded to him and told him to tell his grandmother he was going to be right out front for a little while longer. He did as I told him and was back this time with shoes on. We walked together side by side onto the curb of the street. It was almost like our last date. 

Then I started from the beginning and I knew there were holes in it. I couldn’t possibly remember everything.  

Four months ago…

Daniel and I were throwing a football back and forth at each other and it was early October. There was talk about the new kid in town. Daniel and I were talking about my zero relationship status and about the guy I was last with, Josh had just up and left me without a word. I wasn’t brooding over it anymore that was just last summer now. So it didn’t keep me down.

Our arms were getting tired and I saw Mr. Grant was home early. Daniel ran upstairs to go shower. Daniel teased me about joining him. I wandered around the house like I normally did because I had known this house for years. Something about Mr. Grants study always fascinated me so that was where I was drawn to first. I threw the football back and forth between my hands trying to figure out what to do with myself. That was when I saw the papers on his desk. I’m a science nerd so I figured it out quick.