Chapter Twenty-three

If you notice the picture to the right. Well it'll make sense in due time. Anyways this a mostly flash back chapter. It felt like I had to just get it over with now. The flashback carries on mostly through the next chapter. Also note that this wasn't edited. I was lazy this time. So if you spot mistakes please leave a comment to let me know please. Song of the chapter is Home by Engineers. Best to listen to after the chapter though. This chapter dedication goes to rikki_laura who boldly read from start to finish before anyone. You rock! Get the tissue box ready again.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present Day…                              Jake

By morning when I woke up there was a ‘Good Morning’ text from Danny. The sunlight was coming through the curtains because unlike my previous room, the window here faced the East. Even though it was the morning I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. I didn’t feel groggy or did I dread anything that was coming. What had to happen just had to happen. Now that it had been months later I was sure I was ready.

As for who would show up, most likely everyone. If not well its not like I would take it personal. We did just graduate high school together so for sure there were a lot of things going on. 

My feet touched the ground which felt cool. Grandma hardly ever used the air conditioner here because it never was needed anyway. I could tell it was going to be a sunny day. A smile naturally came to my face for the future. Something in the back of my mind told me the worst of it all was over. 

First week of January…                          Jake

I felt bad. Really bad. It was like nearly the only thing I could feel lately. Sometimes when I was at school after everyone went out of their way to cheer me up, when it was time to go home. That’s when it would hit again. Only this time it wasn’t my mom to place her hand on my back to make me feel better anymore. My mom is gone.

Danny was the one that found me standing out in the parking lot after school where I was standing not sure what to do with myself. 

“Hey Jake? Do you need a ride?”

He was trying to be careful with me. I wished he wouldn’t do that. I never wanted to be fragile. 

I turned around to face him. Sometimes I would forget things like that he was talking to me from behind like just now. The look on my face must have scared him because he was suddenly standing right in front of me. What was I supposed to say again?

Other kids were starting to come into the parking lot. All of them staring. 

I got irritated.

“No Danny I can walk.”

I started to walk into the wrong direction forgetting where I was going again. So I made a turn to head to my grandma’s house instead. Surely Jenny would be there by now. So there was going to be that to deal with. I really didn’t want to do deal with that.

“Seriously Jake I don’t mind. Its not like you’re out of the way or anything,” he was walking right beside me. “Or if you want-”

“Danny please,” I was trying extra hard not to snap today. It was like suddenly all the pent up energy I was holding in was turning into anger. “Just let me get through the first week alone in this.” I had to rethink that and quickly added, “I mean I just need a little space.”

I didn’t hear Danny walking beside me anymore. I felt bad about it but if I let him have is way it would only continue this way. Then I would snap. Danny didn’t deserve that.