Chapter Fourteen

We Remain by Christina Aguilera is the song of the chapter. When I heard it, it just fit somehow. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                              Jake

“It was a good night,” I told Lillian and Heather on our way to our first day back at school. I had already texted them in as much detail possible but they just couldn’t get enough. I also noticed both Heather and Charles didn’t the bicker the entire time today.

Lillian’s face twitched at the corner while Heather just looked back at me.

Jimmy was watching Lillian from his spot while Charles next to me watched me.

“And what about you guys?” I asked Lillian and Jimmy.

“Her dad wasn’t around to say anything about it,” Jimmy said and Lillian turned bright red suddenly staring out the window across the cafeteria.

Heather made a motion to slap him, “You don’t joke about things like that! Its already hard enough the first time!”

Well things were almost normal. We were transferred to another school temporarily until we could face being able to go back to the place where our friends died. There was already a memorial being planned this week. So the drive to school was longer than normal.

When we pulled up to a school that was much bigger than our own. So we got a lot of stares. Suddenly I wasn’t sure if this was a good idea. If Danny and I were out as we were, well there were chances. Heather must have sensed my sudden anxiety because she tapped me on the back of my head.

Marcus, Nikko, and Katie met up with us on cue.

“The kids are a lot rowdier than back at ours,” Katie said shifted her weight onto her good leg.

I took a long look at Katie without trying to be obvious about it. This girl came a long and hard way. She looked almost normal. Though I knew she would never be completely normal again. Daniel appeared to have taken good care of her because she looked lighter than when I last saw her. 

Then again which guy would have their eye out for her now? Nikko or Daniel?

I watched Nikko who looked almost the same as he always had but still naked without Nick.

Out of all of us he might have suffered the most. Was there such thing as big suffering or little suffering? Some would say no and I could only partly agree.

Danny showed up and pulled me into an embrace I felt my eyes light up when he did that. Everyone else tried to look elsewhere to give us privacy which I appreciated. 

So what happened here and now was my friends, boyfriend, fellow classmates, and I would be facing this together. The kids that survived a shoot out. There was going to be talk and there could be some head butting. At least we had each other.

Sure enough during that first day there was a fight from some idiot being blatant. Marcus and Daniel were there to help the kid who lost his favorite teacher, I winced as I remembered my homeroom teacher. The classes were much fuller for both the students that attended here and ours. I also remembered now that the last football game our school beat theirs adding more to the tension. 

Danny and I still didn’t get classes together. I didn’t have lunch with all my friends like before. Not that I had anything against Jimmy and Marcus who were the only ones I had. It was Heather that had lunch alone. We were going to do something about it when Heather told us that it was ok because she was tough. The other football players at this school were also colder towards me due to my sexuality preference. I really didn’t care much though.