Chapter 28 Relief

After three hours of driving on main roads, and about twenty minutes of going over sand speckled paths, Samantha's father pulls into a asphalt driveway in Lincoln City. From inside the cab I can see beautifully dark stained wood that makes up the cabin. We're surrounded by forest and it looks like windows are stretched out from the back of the house to over look a private beach, as well as having pretty decently sized windows in the front, and a long wooden staircase outside next to a huge garage. It reminds me of my house, but not as "bachelor pad" I guess. "It's beautiful." I say out loud. Samantha's father laughs. "No need to get all touchy feely, but thanks anyway."

He kills the engine and opens his door. I do the same getting out of the truck. The cold air hits me as I twist around to get Samantha, picking her up gently from the seat, her skin just as cold as the air. Her head rolls around like a rag doll forcing me to semi arch back so that her head will rest on my shoulder. I shove the truck door with my other side and watch it slam shut. I walk around the back of the truck to the other side where the staircase is because the front of the truck is too close to the garage.

Samantha's father is already climbing the staircase a set of keys already in his hand. I follow right after him, up the straight staircase. I just get to the top when he finds the proper key and opens the door wide. He gestures for me to go inside first, seeing as though I have his unconscious daughter in my arms.

I walk in and I'm hit with the fresh scent of ocean spray. The air in here seems significantly cooler then outside. I can feel the goosebumps go up my spine and the hair on my arms begin to stand. It doesn't help that Samantha's body is not giving off any heat whatsoever, and I keep checking her pulse to make sure she's still alive, but every time I bring my hand up to her throat to check thinking that I'll find nothing, her heart is there beating stronger than ever. Just, I might add, to prove me wrong.

"Come." Samantha's father says to me. "Her room is upstairs." He takes a left up the wood staircase and I follow carefully trying not to drop Samantha. We get to the top of the stairs and then Samantha's father takes a right and passes one room before leading me to the second. He twists the silver nob and opens into a decent sized bedroom. It doesn't take long to notice it's theme. Ocean, ocean everywhere. Shells, waves, sand, sea creatures. I mean even the back board to Samantha's bed is a giant shell. I walk to her bedside and lay her down gently, her head making a dent in the soft pillows. As I look back at her father I can tell that he's worn out. It's been a huge day, for everyone. "You should get some rest." I say to him quietly. "This day hasn't been easy for any of us." "I promise I'll watch over her." Samantha's father looks from me to his daughter. "Ok." He says quietly. He starts to make his way to the door, but before he exits I watch him turn around to ask me something. "Hey kid?" "I should probably know the name of the boy who saved my daughter from crushing her head against the floor."

My eyes measure him from top to bottom. "It's Damian." "You?" Samantha's father stuck out his hand. "Charlie." I nodded at him. I placed my slightly smaller hand in his huge hand. He had workers hands, tough and rugged from heavy lifting and years of being cut up. He was probably used to doing things the right way, hard work and determination. After a few seconds, he lets go and walks quietly out of the room. And I, I blow out a sigh of relief that I hadn't even realized I was keeping in.