♕ Chapter Twelve ♕ - He Isn't That Bad At All.

Riley's POV.

          I took up the cup of tea in front of me that Mrs. Babineaux had given me after dinner. It was vanilla taste and the it was warm, running down my throat.

"You see, Riley." She starts, taking a sip of her own tea. "Lucas is like a son to me. He and Zay have been friends for as long as I can remember. I see him as my own. Always a gentleman and sensitive."

The smile on her face grew with every word she spoke and the thought of sensitive and gentleman Lucas was stuck in my mind. Did the playboy, the heartbreaking bad boy have a good side? A beautiful side.

"He always took care of the elders and the kids, always them before him." Her smile starts to fade and shelooked like she oukd burst out into tears.

I put my hand over hers, concerned. "A-are you okay?"

She turns her head and wipes the tears withthe back of her hand. She then looks at me and smiles.

"I'm fine. Sorry. I just get so emotional thinking back to his life back in Texas."

I furrow my brows in plain confusion. "W-what? Why so?"

She shakes her head. "That's a story for Lucas to tell."

I nod in understanding but I couldn't help the curiosity growing in my stomach. What had happened that was so awful, the thought of it making poor Mrs. Babineaux cry.

My thoughts got interrupted when footsteps starts approaching the two of us. I turn my head and by the door stood Lucas with Zay next to him.

"It's getting late." Is the only thing Lucas says.

Mrs. Babineaux stands up, smoothing her dress. "Oh yes, of course. I wouldn't want Mr. and Mrs. Matthews to get worried."

I give her a small smile and stand up, picking up my empty cup and walkig over to the counter.

After putting it down I turn around to look at her and smile. "Thank you so much for inviting me over. It's been fun and I had a really great time."

She opens her arm, engulfing me in a big bear hug. "I'm happy you could come." She then whispers in my ear something I wasn't really expecting.

"You should give him a real chance. He isn't that bad at all."

When we break the hug I was left speechless. My eyes wandering over to Lucas and Zay whom were talking by the front door and then back at Mrs. Babineaux.
She crosses her arms over her chest and winks at me with a small smile hanging on her lips.

Did she...know? That it was all a facade. That me and Lucas weren't really dating.

She knew, didn't she?

º • º • º • º

As we drove through the city I looked out the window at the blurry buildings that we were passing by. Either of us were uttering a word.

When we left the Babineauxs house and started driving off towards my place, Lucas had asked why I was ao quiet. I didn't answer him. I just kept my mouth shut and my eyes out the window.

What was I supposed to say? 'Your beat friends mom knows you lied about us dating and  tokd me to give you a real chance'.?

No. Hell no was I going to say that.

Enough is that I lied and that she knows it. I don't wanna be a snitch. Maybe I should just keep it shut.

"Matthews, you've been quiet the whole ride. What's wrong?" Lucas says, sounding annoyed.