|•|To Become Allah's Wali|•|

Today we will move on to a new section: the things we should aspire to. In our journey, what we have tried to do is change the way we think about Allah and our relationship with Him. We started with things that we need to know, and moved on to the things that we have to do. Once we achieve those, we need a goal to aspire to so that we do not become complacent.

Live for Allah

"I want to be of those who are close to Allah". Imagine being like Ibn Taymiyyah, who stated, "What can my enemies do to me? I have in my breast both my heaven and my garden. If I travel they are with me, never leaving me. Imprisonment for me is a chance to be alone with my Lord. To be killed is martyrdom and to be exiled from my land is a spiritual journey."

We need to have high aspirations, and we need to have the desire to be someone special to Allah. Once Allah becomes our main concern, we caninsha'Allah be in the same mindset as Ibn Taymiyyah. What can people do to us when we carry paradise in our hearts?

One of the Names of Allah that should inspire us is Al-Wali, The Ally. Allah says in the Qur'an:

"Allah is the ally [Wali] of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into the light..." (Qur'an, 2:257)

What do you feel when you read this verse? Many of us have read this verse again and again, and some of us have contemplated over the meaning of being a wali of Allah. Whenever we think of someone being a wali of Allah, we think of great devoted scholars, courageous fighters, people truly close to Allah... but not us. "We could never be His awliya... could we?"

Allah tells us in this verse that He is the Wali of those who believe. As believers, we are already part of that group, insha'Allah. But to truly earn the status of Allah's Wali, to be at that elevated level, we have to aspire towards it.

What does Al-Wali mean?

Al-Wali has different translations; the 'ally', 'protector', 'guardian' or 'patron'. In Arab countries, schools usually request the permission of "wali amr" (the Wali of the affairs) of a child for anything concerning him or her, meaning the child's guardian. What are the characteristics of a child's guardian?

It must be a person who a) is close to the child, and b) takes care of the child.

If Allah is your Wali, then He is close to you and takes care of you.

Allah took care of the affairs of the Prophet Yusuf 'alayhi sallatu wa sallam (may Allah send His peace and blessings on him). When Yusuf (as) was alone in the well, Allah made specific travelers thirsty at that particular time so that they could rescue him and take him on their journey with them. Later, the people who bought Yusuf (as) as a slave turned out to be a couple who were infertile. At every step of the way, Allah was with Yusuf (as). No doubt, he faced hardships, but Allah is always protecting.

So, there are going to be problems even if you are a Wali of Allah, but at the end of the day, He is still taking care of you. At the end of Yusuf's (as) story, he proclaims, "Creator of the heavens and earth, You are myWali in this world and in the Hereafter." (Quran, 12:101).

Truly, it is an impoverished person who does not have Allah as their Wali, the person who takes his Wali as the dunya.

What happens if you are a Wali of Allah?

1. You have no fear in this dunya, no sadness in akhirah.

"Unquestionably, [for] the awliya of Allah there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve". (Qur'an, 10:62)

2. He will put light in your life.

"Allah is the ally of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into the light." (Qur'an, 2:257)