The Abandonment Of The Quran ᴴᴰ ┇ Emotional ┇

Wa qaalaar- rasulu: “Ya Rabb!”  If all these weren’t bad enough, the Messenger himself (salallahu alayhi wasallam) speaks to Allah directly. “Ya Rabb! Inna qawmit takhadu haathal Qurana Mahjoorah” This nation of mine, no doubt about it, they took this Quran!  “Haathal Quran,” even there is a beauty even in the use of the word “Haatha (this)” here, as opposed to “thalika (that)”, like when you start reciting Quran in the beginning “Alif Laam Meem. Thalika al Kitabu la rayba fi” here Allah (swt) doesn’t say “Thalika al Quran” he says “Haatha al Quran” Haatha lil Qareeb! This Quran was right here! It was right in front of you! And you still wouldn’t take it seriously! And the messenger on judgement day (peace be upon him). Complains: “This nation of mine took THIS Quran” not THAT Quran, but THIS Quran. One of the rhetorical benefits, balaaqhi benefits, of the word “Haatha” in this Ayah, is on the day of judgement it will be like the Quran will be brought as a witness. You know how in court you bring the witness....? And then the witness or the evidence is brought and you point at the evidence and say, “This is the evidence that, that guy is a criminal!” so the evidence itself will be the Quran on judgement day.

Your case is already bad enough as it is, and then the Quran is brought as the witness and the attorney bringing the evidence is the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and he is pointing at the Quran and saying “These people... this nation of mine, they took this Quran Mahjoorah”. They took it Mahjooran. Hajara they say in Arabic: “Taraka shay an- Hajartahu hajaran ya’ni taraktahu, aghfaltahu” you made something forgotten! You completely ignored something! You left it way behind! I think even the Urdu speakers here know what the word “Hijrah” means. Everybody knows the word Hijrah means to migrate something.

The Ayah doesn’t even say matrookan. Matrookan means left behind, Mahjooran means left waaaaaay behind! They didn’t just leave the Quran, they left it waaaaaay behind. They weren’t even close. They just migrated away! Away! Away from it! And I... I wanna remind myself and all of you today, the character the Quran wants from us, if we are far away from that- even though we are reciting the Quran – it’s still a Hijrah from the Quran.

Its still a Hijrah from the Quran! We’re migrating away from the Quran. If we are reciting it and we are not seeing any change in our character. That’s the quality of bani Israeel. And that’s why this...this, by the way, is Surah (chapter) Al Furqan- the 25th surah of the Quran. It is not a long surah so you can read it in its translation. But what’s remarkable about this surah- this is the middle of it – when you get to the end of it, the whole ending is about what kind of character is required from a Muslim. What should the personality of Muslim look like? Why is that mentioned when the messenger of Allah (saw) complained they abandoned the Quran because the person who does not abandon the Quran has a different kind of personality.

Their personality is different. Their character is different. Their actions are different.  Even who they hangout with is different. “Wa ithaa marroo bil laghwi, marro kiraaman.”  In the same surah; when they walk by useless conversations, they walk by in a dignified way. It affects every part of their personality. That’s the abandonment of the Quran!

I feel that the Ummah is becoming (you and I) are becoming more and more and more guilty of and we have to be worried about it.

I was reading this Ayah; my daughter recites Quran to me at home and she was reading this Ayah and I was just checking her tajweed and she was reciting this ayah and I sat there and started crying. And she said, “Aba why are you crying?” I said “you know cos of what Allah said.” And she said, “What did he say?” “He said you know the Messenger (saw) will complain about a group of people who have abandoned the Quran” and she says to me, “But Aba we didn’t leave the Quran. We’re reading it.” I said “Beta, if only it was just about reading, it would have been easy.”

It’s NOT just about reading it you have to love this book. Can we prove that we love this book more than any other movie that comes out? More than any other video game? Do we wanna spend more time with this book then anything else?

Or do we wanna be like what this book wants us to be? More then we wanna be like anything else? Younger guys wanna look like ripped because they see a picture of a guy with muscles. Girls wanna look like someone. People wanna make money like someone.

People idolize these people? Who idolizes the character that the Quran embodied the messenger of Allah (saw) – Kana khiluquhu wal Quran.  The Character of the Prophet (saw) was the Quran.

Who like goes to sleep and thinks, “Man, I wish I had a six-pack” instead of thinking “Man, I wish I had more Sunnah in my life.” Who says that? How are we not abandoning it? How are we not abandoning it?!

We have to be a people that take coming back to Allah’s book seriously. May Allah ‘Azza wa Jal  make us a people that love this book and  make it a big part of our lives, so everything in our life is given a blessing and given life through the Barakah of this book. May Allah ‘Azza wa Jal help the Muslims understand this book as they should understand it. May Allah help you as parents, not only love and understand this book yourselves,  but give you the ability to teach it to your children, so your children can testify for you on the day of judgement. May Allah ‘Azza wa Jal help the masaajid, the schools, the Madaaris al hifdh all these that are memorising the Quran may Allah not just help them memorize the Quran but to help them understand every word of it, and to live that word of it and to pray with their hearts, not with their tongues when they pray. May Allah make us of those people that really live the Quran and the Quran lives in our hearts. Bal Huwa Aayatun bayyinatun fi assudoor illatheena ootul ‘ilm. (These are Ayaat that live in the chest of those who have been given knowledge.) Chest! The Quran lives in the person’s heart. May Allah enter this Quran into all of our hearts.

By Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.