Chapter 31

Link's POV

I yawned and stretched. Warm sunlight filtered through my curtains and brightened my room. I sighed with a smile and got up, fully stretching my weary limbs. I scratched the top of my head and grabbed my blue and red plaid button up shirt, a pair of skinny jeans and some socks. I brought them all into the bathroom and took a quick shower. I dressed and then began to fix my hair. I went back into my room and slipped on my glasses. I walked down the hall and saw Amber's door was slightly cracked open. She slept peacefully and I smiled. My precious little girl. I quietly closed her door and went downstairs to the kitchen.

I started making some coffee and sat down at the table. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and began to browse social media. The smell of coffee started to fill the house and soon, I heard footsteps upstairs. Amber was up. A couple minutes later, she walked into the kitchen. I smiled and stood up, wrapping my arms around her and kissing the top of her head. "Morning sweetheart! How'd you sleep?" She smiled up at me and yawned.

"Great! How about you? Did you actually make it to your bed this time?" she laughed.

"Yes, I did. I slept well, thanks. Want me to make some breakfast? I might be able to do a little more than just cereal." I smiled and winked.

"Sure, Dad. Thank you. I'm gonna take a quick shower while you do that."

"You're lying." My expression went serious and my smile disappeared. She furrowed her brow and looked at me with a confused expression.

"W-what?" She looked slightly frightened. My expression softened and turned back into a smile.

"I know you, and I know it's impossible for you to take a 'quick shower'." I laugh and smile, messing up her hair. She soon started laughing too and playfully hit my arm.

"You so sure about that? I'll go take a quick shower right now and yes, it will be quick. Quicker than you!"

"Wanna bet? I'll take you out for ice cream and lunch if you're right, but if I'm right, and I will be, you have to... hmm, I'm not sure. What would you be willing to do?" 

"If you win, and that won't  happen, I'll wash dishes for a week. All the dishes. Deal?"She extends her hand with a smug grin. I smirk and shake her hand.

"Deal. Now, I'm timing you. I usually take about ten minutes in the shower. I'm feeling confident though, you don't have to have less than my time, you can match ten minutes and you'll win. Now, go, I'm setting up the timer and starting it as soon as it's ready." I smile and laugh as she runs off. I grab my phone from the table and get to the timer. I hear the shower start upstairs and I start the timer. I grab a box of toaster waffles and some bacon. I start cooking and the time flies by. Amber comes running down the stairs just as the timer goes off. She comes into the kitchen with a smirk.

"Looks like I won, Dad. You have to get me lunch and ice cream now." She smiles and cocks her head to the side, with one hand on her hip. She bursts out laughing, not able to contain the sassy act. I smile as I serve her breakfast.

"Y'know, I was actually planning on doing that before we made this deal. You didn't have to rush in the shower to get it." I laugh and she turns around, shaking her head slightly.

"Really Dad? I should have expected as much. Still, I got out of doing dishes didn't I?" She smiles and takes a bite of the bacon. "Wow, this is really good! Thanks!" 

"Of course, sweetheart. And I also wasn't going to make you do the dishes." I smile and kiss the top of her head. I get myself some coffee and sit down next to her. She looks up at me.

"Aren't you going to eat something too?" I raise my eyebrows and smile, shaking my head.

"Nah, I'm not very hungry today. I'll be fine." I smile and wink at her. She laughs slightly and continues to eat her breakfast. I sigh and take a sip of my coffee. I see my phone light up, indicating a text. I set down the coffee and see that Rhett texted me.

Rhett's text: "Hey, Link. Think I could come over and talk to you soon? It's important. There's nothing wrong, but I need to tell you something and I'd rather do it in person."

Link's reply: "Sure. Come over whenever. We're just finishing breakfast anyway. See you soon!"

"Rhett's coming over. He needs to talk to me. Just letting you know," I smile and sip some more of my coffee.

"Alright, that's cool." She finishes eating and cleans up her place. "I'll just be in my room if you need me." She smiles and runs up the stairs.

"See you later!" I smile and stand up, stretching. I go to the couch and close my eyes as I sit. After a few minutes of relaxing and thinking about my life, I hear a knock on the door. "Come on in, Rhett."

The door opens and Rhett steps inside. He looks happy and excited, but nervous. "Hey Rhett. What's going on, brother? Everything alright?" I stand up and go over to him. He smiles.

"Yeah, actually everything's great. Can we go to your office for a minute?"

"Sure..." I say and we walk into the office. I close the door behind me and Rhett sits down on the couch. I sit on the other end. "What's going on, man. You seem nervous? Are you okay?" He sighs and reaches into his inside jacket pocket. He pulls out a small ring box. He opens it revealing a beautiful diamond ring. 

"I-I'm going to ask Jess to marry me." He smiles widely.