Chapter 44

Rhett's POV

The joy and happiness running through my veins was indescribably strong. I could just scream at the top of my lungs until my throat started to hurt. Scream about how happy I am, that I'm marrying the woman of my dreams. No, not the woman of my dreams. Jessie is far more amazing than any woman I could ever dream of. I love everything about her. She is perfect in my eyes and no one could ever get me to believe anything else. Link wasn't expecting me tonight, but there was no way I was going to wait until the morning to tell him everything. I just couldn't. 

After about twenty minutes, I was walking to Link's room. I came to the door and opened it slowly. He was sound asleep. I chuckled softly and sat down next to him. He moaned softly and opened his eyes. He smiled weakly when he saw me. "Hey brother. You came tonight. You seem happy. And there's a ring on your finger. She said yes." He smiled so happily when he said those last few words.

"Yes, yes she did. She was so happy. Wish I had thought of somehow filming it so you could see. I'll do my best to describe it though. We were walking through the park and got to the gazebo. I don't know if you saw, but the sunset was so beautiful. It cast a red glow everywhere. We were admiring the beauty and I took both of her hands in one of mine and knelt down. I took out the ring box and totally scrapped the speech I had made before. Instead, I just said whatever came to me at that moment. It was pretty nice actually. And she started crying and she nodded and said yes. It was so amazing! I'll never forget it." By the time I had stopped talking, there was a tear slowly trickling down Link's face. He was smiling so happily and extended his arms for me to hug him.

"Bring it in, brother. Congratulations. I can't tell you that enough. I'm just so happy for you, Rhett! That was so beautiful. I'm just so dang happy for you!" I smiled and gently hugged him. He squeezed me tightly as he hugged me and smiled. "Congrats! I can't say it enough, man!" We both laughed.

"Thank you, buddyroll. Means so much to me. Thank you. I'm so happy too! I can barely believe it. After 38 years I finally found the one for me. Jessie's so amazing. I can't believe she wants to marry me." I laughed and Link smiled.

"You're so amazing too, brother. You mean so much to me, Jessie, Amber, Christy, and millions of others. I'm surprised it took so long for you to find someone because there are tons of women out there that love you. The fangirls will be upset that you're getting married." Link laughed and I did too. I smiled and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you, Link. So much. They'll be very upset when you get married. Those fangirls mostly belong to you, brother. You're amazing too and mean so very much to me, man. That's why I've spent so much time sitting here in this hospital with you. I'm always gonna be there for you. No matter what stands in my way, I'll push through it and be there for you, Link. I love you, brother. So much. Don't you ever forget that." I smiled and Link smiled back.

"Thank you, Rhett. I love you too. So, SO much! You mean the world to me. I could never imagine having a better best friend and brother than you. You're always there for me and I want to do the same for you. Thank you, brother. That means so very much to me. Gosh, I'm so lucky you're my best friend. So blessed is more like it. Thank you for always being there no matter what. Even when I was terrified of you because my brain was messed up. That was actually pretty scary. I don't mean you, I mean the fact that it happened at all. You were hugging me so tightly and I was just completely terrified. I really appreciate the fact that you were there. And I made you cry. And it tore my heart to bits. I never meant to do that. You mean so very much to me, Rhett. I never want to hurt you. Physically or emotionally, but I did. And I'm so, so sorry!"

I shook my head and smiled slightly. I leaned forward and hugged him gently again. I could tell he started crying on my shoulder. I gently rubbed his back. "Hey, hey, don't cry, brother. We were so happy, you don't need to cry right now. There's no reason to. I'm okay. Sure, it hurt me at the time, but I understand what happened and that you would never in a million years say what you did or want to hurt me. Just like how I would never ever want to hurt you. Not for anything. That's mostly why I cried. I hugged you so tightly it was hurting your broken rib, and sure, I also cried because of what you said, but I knew it wasn't really the Link I know saying it. Your brain was jumbled up from the accident, it's alright, brother. I understand. Honestly, I do. There's no need to cry. I'm right here for you if you just want to let it out anyway."

I smiled slightly as I still continued to hug Link and rub his back. That really wasn't doing anything. He probably can't feel it, there's a huge cast wrapped around his torso. I let him rest his head on my shoulder and I gently rubbed the back of his head. He continued to cry. He still wasn't really himself yet. His concussion was mostly gone, but his emotions were still a little stronger when he had them. He shouldn't be so sad, but he couldn't help it. I just continued to rub the back of his head and hug him as he sobbed into my shoulder. 

After about ten minutes of him sobbing and hugging me, he went limp. He fell asleep. I smiled slightly and gently leaned him back in his bed. I pulled the sheet up to his chin as he slept. I smiled and leaned back in my chair, soon falling asleep as well.