Deviless

Requested by the lovely @Jay115

I sighed, poking my chubby cheek with a finger in disgust. My skin was a constant reminder of the origins of my creation, and I hated it. I wasn't pale and curvy like Mom, but nor was I skinny and dark like my Dad. I was some awkward in between that was never supposed to be here.

"Sissy! Lemme in!" Small fists pounded on the wood of the bathroom door, and I quickly wiped my eyes and made sure my sleeves were pulled down before I let my little brother into the room.

His blonde mohawk stood spiked up on his head already, so there was only one thing he needed from the bathroom; his earrings.

I left him alone to find his small diamond studs and wandered downstairs to the game room. There was a small hope inside of me that I would find the space void of people, and I'd be able to watch a movie on my own. I should've known better.

My stepdad was on the couch with headphones in, playing along on an acoustic guitar, so I decided against turning on the television. Instead, I settled down in the window seat and stared out at the front lawn, where Mom was chasing the twins around with the water hose.

From my position up against the window, I could hear them screeching and giggling through the thin glass.

"Momma! Stahp it!" Jadah squealed, getting picked up and spun around in Mom's arms. "What will you do if I don't?" I heard Mom reply, a hint of playful sass in her tone.

Jadah's twin sister, Fawn, put her hands on her hips. "We'll tell Daddy on you." Jadah nodded, looking satisfied with her sister's proposal.

Mom gasped. "You wouldn't dare!" Fawn nodded. "We would." Jadah hummed for dramatic effect. "And he would get you in trouble. Then we would have to find a new Daddy and only get to see our real Daddy on the weekends like Kara."

I didn't wait around to hear what Mom responded with. Honestly, I can't say I cared too much, considering her words were as true as could be from a three year old's perspective.

I ran up the stairs two at a time, not even pausing when I bumped into Nash and sent him flat on his bum. I ran until I reached the safest spot I could think of, which happened to be my closet.

I hid myself amongst the racks of laundered fabric and pulled my knees to my chest for comfort.

You don't belong here. Look around you. I whimpered, scanning the clothes and shoes in front of me with watery eyes. None of this should be here. You're burdening them. I sobbed into my hands, taking shaky breaths while the voices chanted in my head.

You were a mistake. Your mother never wanted you. She got with someone else and replaced you with three perfect porcelain babies. All you do is cause her more stress. You're just another mouth to feed.

I was brought out of my trance when I felt two calloused hands cup my face. I sniffled and opened my eyes. "Go away." I stuttered out through my mess of heavy breathing and crying. "I'm fine."

"I highly doubt that." I was surprised to hear Chris' voice. As a general rule, he would always send Mom up to check on me. Whether it was because I hardly spoke to him or purely out of courtesy to let my blood related parent soothe me, I don't know.

His lanky arms wrapped around my middle, pulling me closer until I was in his lap with my head against his chest. "Nash was worried about you, y'know." He whispered, glancing down to make sure I was listening. "He came downstairs and told me you were upset, and that he didn't know what was wrong." He kissed my forehead briefly, and I felt the pressure in my chest loosen.

"That's right." He cooed, wiping my tears away with his thumb. "No more tears." I heard him swear under his breath. "It hurts me to see you cry, you know that?" My eyes snapped up to meet his, shock evident in my misty grey irises. "Why?" I wondered aloud. "I'm not yours."

Chris snorted. "Only biologically, Kara." He rubbed soft circles on my cheek with a smile. "You've always been my baby girl, Kara, from the moment your Mom gave birth to you I fell in love." He paused. "You're as much mine as Nash or the twins, Kara, and I never want you to think otherwise."

He wiped the tears from my eyes, and I buried my face into the crook of his neck. Chris always smelled so good, like a mixture of Mom's perfume and his favorite cologne, it was comforting.

The closet door opened once more, and two teeny sets of arms wrapped around the both of us. "We loves you, sissy!" Jadah and Fawn shouted, earning a chuckle from their father.

I glanced up and locked eyes with Mom, who was coddling a heartbroken Nash. She smiled down at me and whispered something to my younger brother, who perked up almost immediately.

Chris kissed my forehead with a smile. Nash ran over and joined our snuggle fest, and I heard Mom giggle. "Are you guys ready for some lunch?" My stomach growled, and the kids all nodded eagerly. "I want pizza, Mommy!" Mom rolled her eyes. "Oh, alright." She bent down and picked up both of the twins. "Daddy gets to order!" Chris groaned, and Nash and I shared a look.

"Wings?" We both whispered, pulling our best puppy dog pouts. "You know I can't refuse the wings!" We all laughed, and Dad pulled out his phone to place the order.

I stood up and grabbed Nash's hand to head downstairs, listening to him sing his 'Pizza and Wings' song quietly to himself as we walked.