Chapter 37

Drew's Point of View (Drew32u)

Drew couldn't believe it. Fire Fall was gone.

He hadn't really been close to the girl; in fact, he barely even spoke to her.

But, knowing that one of their teammates was dead scared Drew. None of them had died yet down here, and it all seemed somewhat fake, in a way. But Fire's death showed them the bleak reality.

They could die any second.

Suddenly, a portal made of gold appeared nearby. It was time to choose who got to go home.

Everyone looked to Steve for orders. He seemed shaken up, though, staring at the abyss.

Nobody knew what to do. Jay was also shaken up, staring at the abyss with Steve. Everyone else stood around awkwardly, until finally, Kirai spoke up.

"Hero, you're still injured from when Techno shot you. You get to go home," she said.

"Are you sure?" Hero asked. "I can stay."

"No, you need to go," Mimi answered. "I'll go with her."

"No, Mimi, you have to stay here. What if someone else is injured? You're the closest thing we have to a medic down here," Kirai said.

Mimi sighed. "You're right."

"I'll go with her," Brayden spoke up. "I can protect her if she's hurt again. Plus, if Techno fixed the Shark, I gotta be there to fly it."

Kirai glanced at Steve and Jay, who were still staring into the abyss, shivering. Then, she nodded. "Alright. Brayden and Hero, go home."

Hero limped over to the portal. Brayden followed her. Hero entered the white center first, smiling encouragingly at everyone as she disappeared. Brayden entered next. He nodded to everyone, then disappeared.

The portal disappeared as well.

"Alright. Uh...Zaryn? Which way?" Kirai asked.

Zaryn looked at her. "There's only one way right now..." He gestured to the open iron door nearby.

"Just lead the way. I'll come up there after I get Steve and Jay moving," Kirai said.

Zaryn shrugged and walked through the iron door. Kat, Diamond, Hayden, and Mimi followed. Drew hung around in the doorway, watching Kirai, Steve and Jay.

Kirai crouched down next to the two. "Guys. We gotta keep going."

They didn't answer. They continued to stare into the abyss, shaking. Drew wasn't sure why Jay was. He didn't drop Fire into the abyss.

"Guys. I know, Fire is gone. But we have to move on. If we don't get out of this maze, we're all dead," Kirai said.

Neither of them responded.

Kirai sighed. She took Jay's hand and pulled him to his feet. He didn't protest. Kirai led him over to the iron door. She nodded at Drew as she passed, pulling Jay behind her.