The Botched Assassination

Some people have this outrageously radical notion that killing people is not a good thing to do. Even worse is a person whose job entails the professional killing of people. Not that I disagree with that opinion, but what can I say? I'm good at what I do.

There aren't many different career paths for people who are good at being unseen, but luckily, I have great fucking aim. The only other career alternatives for me with that specific skillset are duck hunter and taxi driver, so I think I chose the best path. Or at least, the highest paying, which, in this society, means the best.

The Beatles had it right when they said Happiness Is A Warm Gun. They were also right when they said I'm A Loser, but let's not get technical.

Killing people is easy, really, it's not as hard as people make it out to be. The technicalities of it are the easy part, however the mental repercussions are a whole different story that can corrupt even the most determined of minds. I am a stubborn little shit, and don't you forget it, but that does not mean I am infallible. Just because I kill people doesn't mean I like it.

Assassins are a pretty tightknit community. We've got a monopoly on the underground, because it's hard to earn your way in, but once you do, it's an assurance that you'll never be forgotten. If you're one of the greats, there's a chance you might even get your own Wikipedia page.

There are some people who might call me pretty famous in my field, because of my expertise. Not only can I kill people, but I can also kill people and be out of there before anyone even registers there's been a murder, which is highly effective because a guy who lingers around long enough to get caught is definitely not worthy of esteem or praise. What good is an assassin who gets caught? That's like a talking mime, it's counterintuitive. I vanish before the victims' last breath has even been exhaled. I'm like a ghost. That's why they call me The Enigma. I get in, get my target, and then I get out. It's that simple.

I've never even had a close encounter with a cop, but I'm sure they know of me, by reputation. Infamy is a heavy load. Word gets around when you're as talented an assassin as I am. There's probably some high security clearance file about me buried in some stuffy official's desk drawer somewhere, and if you're not a file in the desk of an old white guy, then really, what does your life amount to? Love, family, awards, art? They don't mean shit compared to a file that says you once shot a guy from over 2000 yards away.

I like being in the limelight, sure, but I like the way "The Enigma" rolls off the tongue, because my alternative isn't all that threatening. No one is intimidated by [i]Frank[/i]. Besides, everyone wants a cool superhero name. It's just a shame that my moniker is not used to describe a hero, but rather a villain.

The Enigma is a highly sought after assassin. I'm like the Starbucks of assassins. I'm slightly too expensive, a little bit of a guilty pleasure, and something you probably don't want to admit to buying, but people love my work anyway.

I've just been hired on a new job, and by the looks of it it'll be a piece of cake. It's child's play.

The guy doesn't even have a security on him, like come on? Can he get more killable?

When I'd first seen the name, I wasn't too surprised that I knew who he was. Most people who get assassinated are in the public eye to some extent or another. Either that or they're a cheating spouse. The life expectancy of a cheating spouse of a famous person, however, is lower than that of a guy in a red shirt on Star Trek.

Of course I know who this guy is, everyone in the city knows who this guy is, but that doesn't stop me from taking the job. Money is money, right? He's some modestly famous comic book artist who's been in the paper a bit recently for his new series. I haven't seen any of his work, but I know of the guy. I don't understand why a comic book artist would have a target on his back, but it's not my place to ask questions. I'm sure there's a scandal that needs covering up, there always is.