The Inevitability of a Visit from the Reaper

Surely I'm unconscious if the images floating around my eyes are anything to go by. I think it's a mixture of reality and dream though. There's Gerard sleeping in the space next to me and he looks like an angel. I pull him closer to my body, but when I reach for him he's not there. There's nothing there and this is what pulls me into some variety of consciousness, but it's hazy. There's the grey interior of a van, but no seats in the back where I think I'm lying. There's a person in the driver's seat in front of me, but I can't see him clearly. He's not wearing a seat belt though. Shame on him.

As soon as I get that glimpse of reality I'm back in a dream. An unmasked man laughing evilly at something, who has tied me to a large pillar with my hands bending uncomfortably around it. I recognize him from somewhere, but I don't know where just yet. His hair is brown, but greying and his face shows very little sign of any laugh lines. If he smiles a lot then his face hasn't gotten the memo because he's definitely an older craggy guy, but the missing lines lead me to believe that he's not a fun person to be around. I don't like the way he stands there looking all jaunty.

His eyes catch mine and a cold heartless brown, deeper than any color I've ever seen, meets my own. There's even a hint of ruby in his eyes like a demon. They're terra-cotta and thirsty for death. His eyes aren't beautiful in the slightest. There isn't a heart in those eyes. The soul is missing and it feels cold. Some part of me understands that he doesn't have a soul at all. It's not something you can see it's something you have to feel. This man is remorseless and evil to the core. He doesn't have a solid shape other than the simplistic etching of him in front of me.

I fight against the bindings, but all it does is give me a real pain in my wrist that pulls me back to some sort of veracity.

I'm in a car again. The sky outside isn't visible because clots of rain flood the window. There's a small little trail of drops that are falling into the van because the door isn't completely insulated. There's a figure but I can't quite understand his form because my head is throbbing. I do think that this is real though. I think this is actually happening around me, but I just can't hold onto it. My eyes roll up back into my head and I'm drowning.

I actually feel water filling my lungs. The water is black and cold. There's no light at all. I feel like light itself is a myth. There is nothing but this blackness and I'm scrambling at the water around me. Searching for something. I'm searching for something to bring me some sort of refuge or something to clue me into what's going on. I'm resisting the urge to just let myself give up and drown. The water is starting to burn but I keep taking breaths hoping that one of them will be filled with air. None of them are, and all I can do is flail in my liquid prison scrambling for some relief. I need air.

My hand finds flesh and I grab at it. Someone's hand is in mine and it's tugging me upward toward the surface. Farther and farther I'm pulled all the while holding my breath. The arm is pulling me farther then it could possibly have reached so I know that this can't be real and yet it feels so genuine.

My head breaks the surface and I take a long breath. I've never been this hungry for oxygen before but my chest is aching and my entire existence is relying on these sallow little huffs.

I look around my surrounding to see where I am and I don't understand how I got here. I was just underwater but now I'm in a park, with the smell of grass flooding my prying heaves. Its night and I can't see anything through natural light because the sky is blank. It's not just New York City blank from air pollution, it's completely void. There isn't a twinkle of a star or a moon, it's just oblivion. The only thing that allows me to see is a lamppost in front of me giving of buttery light and illuminating only my immediate backdrop.

All I see is grass, but it's so dark that it looks black. I know somehow that I'm in Central Park though there's nothing telling me of this. It could be any old park but it's not. I know where I am, I just don't know how I know.