Sixteen ➵ J. C

I regretfully came home later that Saturday night. When I walked in through the front door, my dad's perverted friends were there.
I tried to sneak myself out of this one, but sadly it didn't work.
"Hey it's that no good daughter of yours!" One of them bellowed, I tried rushing up the stairs but one of them yanked be back by the hair, causing me to fall down the stairs.
"She deserves to be punished." Another one of them said. I tried to get back up again before anything else could happen, but the guy steps on my chest with his boot.
I couldn't breathe. He took it off of me but only to pin me down to the ground.
"Please just leave me alone!" I cried. I tried pushing him off of me but he smacked me across the face, leaving a red mark though.
"Shut up! You're a bitch, and deserve no love in the world." He yelled.
"Let me to do something." The other guy insists. I was scared at what he was going to do. As I was squirming trying to get out of the threshold,the other guy rolled up my arm sleeve and took his lit up cigarette, rubbing it against my arm. I screamed, as he was burning it. My dad's friends were laughing, as I was struggling to get out of here.
"Just stop it!" I burst out crying. Then that's when I get smacked again. Suddenly, the guy got off of me, allowing me to get up. But eventually he shoved me hard into the wall.
He dragged me across the room, pushing me to the ground roughly and kicking me repeatedly. I was left there groggily and helpless, with no one to rescue me whatsoever. No one knew my dark secret. This was my life that no one knew about.
"Hope you enjoyed your misery." He snickered, leaving me alone. I tried to stand up, stumbling at first. I headed upstairs to my room and shutting the door behind me. I fell to my bed, balling my eyes out. I had to figure out how to get out of this.
:::
I woke up, still remembering last night. Since I slept in my clothes from last night, I dressed into new ones.
I dressed into a jean jacket with a white shirt underneath it, and one of my skirts. I slipped on my tan combat boots, then headed downstairs.
I came across my father who had been in the kitchen drinking a bottle of beer. Once he caught sight of me trying to sneak out, he yanked a hold of my arm, pausing my tracks.
"Please just let go of me." I pleaded, but he slapped me, like yesterday his friend did. He pulled out a knife from the kitchen counter, pointing it up to my cheek, getting ready to stab it.
"If you ever tell anybody about your home life I promise you you'll never see them again. I reassure you it'll be brutal and excruciating as hell. You hear me?" He threatened, frightening me. I didn't answer him. Instead, I looked at the knife, shocked he would do this to me-his only daughter
"Do you hear me?" He shouted louder.
"Y-yes." My voice was shaky, and I was trembling. Suddenly he got a hold of me, and threw me to the ground, sending me to the floor in a loud slam.
"Get the fuck out. Now." He ordered, as he got me up, and shoved me to the door, me stumbling at first.
:::
When I came to school, the first person I saw was Topanga. Once she saw me, I was unsure if I should greet her or ignore her. But looks like as if she was going to greet me.
"Hey Jasmine- listen, I'm sorry about the other night. I was just concerned." Topanga apologized, as I was trying to open my locker.
"It's okay Topanga. Really." I insisted, successfully opening my locker.
"Wait, Jasmine- why do you have a cut on your cheek though?" She asked, concerned. I was getting annoyed.
"Topanga, can we please not talk about this right now?" I pleaded.
Before she could say anything, Shawn and Cory came by.
"Hey Jas." Shawn greeted me, kissing me on the cheek.
"Topanga!" Cory welcomed, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.
"My honey, my girl. My friend. My girly friend." He said, holding up the cheesiest smile.
"Where's this going Cory?" Topanga asked, crossing her arms.
"Well the 7th grade formal is coming on Friday, and I was wondering if you could attend it with me?" Cory asked her.
"I'll go on one condition, but only to go just as friends." Topanga says, emphasizing the word friends. Cory's smile faded, but still kept it.
"Alright, alright. As friends then."
"Friends." Topanga repeated.
"I'll pick you up at 8. Does that sound good?" Cory wondered.
"Yes it does. Can't wait Cory." Topanga said, flashing him a smile. The two stared at each other for a while, until Topanga headed to class. Cory smirked at me and Shawn, which hinted for me Shawn had something hatched up. 
"Well, it's my turn now I guess." Shawn said smirking. He pulled out a red rose from his back pocket, and knelt down on one knee as if he was proposing.
"This may not seem like much but will you go to the formal with me?" Shawn asked. He was beginning to smile, and look as grateful as he could.
"Yes." I answered him, taking the rose from him, and his eyes widening. His smile grew wider.
"Really?" He was astonished.
"Of course, I wouldn't go with anyone else." I said to him. I wrapped my arms around his neck, his enticing themselves around my waist. He lifted me up in the air, happy my answer was a yes.
He pulled away, so that way we could talk about it more.
"So Friday: I'll pick you up at 8:00?"
"Yeah, sounds good." I confirmed.
I couldn't wait for the formal.
:::
Throughout the week, I was waiting impatiently for the formal. My aunt just in time sent me an allowance, and a letter again. Last time I had written to her about my current school life; this time she had written something that warmed my heart.
Jasmine,
I'm so happy for you that you had found some friends to get situated in. Not to mention a boyfriend!
I'm glad you're enjoying school. I miss you lots and I love you. I promise we will see each other again soon. Xx
She had sent me $80. With that being said, I could buy myself a formal dress.
Topanga asked me if I could go with her and to meet at her house on Friday night, then I accepted.
I bought myself a white dress, with it being strapless. I had some sequins that was around the waist, and for the skirt it was ruffled a little at the end, but other than that it was still cute.
For Topanga, she had bought a red dress with a sparkly top with short sleeves, and a now around the waist area. Hers was pretty cute as well.
Then Friday night finally came.
We were at our house, getting ready for the dance. Not once had she mentioned any cuts, bruises, or me getting abused; I wanted it that way.
But she didn't keep it inside for long. As she was curling my hair, she asked me about it.
"Jasmine, I know you really don't want me to talk about it, but it's just I'm really concerned about you. With all those bruises and that cut. Are you sure you okay?" Topanga asked.
"Topanga, for the final time I'm alright, okay?" I answered her in annoyance.
"Jasmine, you can tell me anything. Please. Jasmine, you I won't tell anyone, and you should know that." Topanga said, after finishing my last curl. Should I tell her? I remembered what my dad said, but then again I also knew Topanga would stop talking about this as well.
I made sure no one was around, and not even Shawn and Cory at the window not even outside of it.
"Promise me you won't tell anybody." I whispered.
"Jasmine, you know I won't." Topanga reminded. I looked at her for a moment, studying her. I trusted her. She was my best friend already. I knew she was going to try and help me, but she couldn't with this one.
"Ever since I was young, my mom passed away. I don't know how or why I became the victim of this, but my dad started abusing me. Even if he would have friends he would. His friends were so reeking and disturbing. They even took it to the extreme and took advantage of me every chance they got. My dad wouldn't care. I always get hurt at home." I told her softly, almost breaking down. Topanga's face fell, and she hugged me right away. I found myself sobbing as I rested my head on her shoulder as she held me tighter.
"I'm so sorry Jasmine." She rubbed my back, trying to comfort me. She pulled away so she could speak to me.
"Have you told someone Jasmine?" She fretted.
"No, how can I tell someone?" I choked out.
"Not even Shawn?"
"No! Shawn can never know Topanga. I just, he can't. He'll do something and it's going to hurt him. My dad could take it to the extreme." I said to her.
"Jasmine, you know you can tell Shawn anything. If you want, I can help-"
"No Topanga please don't." I pleaded.
Topanga's mom from downstairs interrupted our conversation, pausing us.
"Jasmine! Topanga! Shawn and Cory are here." Her mom called. Before we left, Topanga and I tried to finish our important conversation.
"Jasmine, please. For you-"
"Don't help me Topanga. There's nothing you can do." I begged her. She stood there for a moment, biting her lip.
"Please Topanga. Don't try to do anything and leave it be. Don't tell him, Shawn can never know." I whispered.
"Jasmine.." Her voice trailed off, disappointed by how I was treating this situation like it was nothing. I didn't like to, but I couldn't do anything. It was too risky, and could make things much worse than it already was.
It didn't help especially with my dad's threatening voice echoing my mind; it was like he followed me around through my thoughts as well too, it was horrifying.
"Please." I insisted.
"Alright, but you need to tell him." Topanga reminded me. I followed her out of her room, her coming downstairs before I did.
"Topanga!" I heard Cory exclaim at the sight of her presence. Now it was my turn. I slowly headed downstairs, walking as elegant as I could. In the corner of my eye, Shawn's jaw dropped.
Once I met with him, he got a hold of my hand.
"You look stunning Jasmine." He complimented me. I blushed, then I returned the favoring compliment.
"You kidding me? Look at me." He pointed out his clothing choice. It wasn't a suit and tie; it was just a green baggy sweatshirt with pants.
"So? You don't need no suit and tie Shawn. I mean, look at you! You still look amazing." Shawn grinned.
"Thank you."
"Well come on guys, we better get to that dance!" Topanga persisted, getting a hold of the three of us, scramming out the door. Before we left, Topanga's mom yelled out in the background,"have fun!"
:::
Once we headed into the school, a realization had come abrupt to me:
I haven't even learned how to dance.
I began to feel nervous, having a gnawing pit in my stomach.
The school's dance was held in the gymnasium- it was packed with freshmen, but mostly the upperclassmen. The seniors to be exact in that case.
Shawn had gotten a hold of my hand, leading me to tables to sit at. He sat down then Topanga and Cory took their seats, leaving me the only one standing up.
"Jasmine, sit on my lap." Shawn insisted. I do and once I did so he wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder. Shawn kissed me on the cheek, his lips being so soft; they were very heartwarming.
Suddenly, a song came on, causing Cory and Topanga to stand up.
"Oh my gosh, this song- Cory we've got to dance to it!" Topanga led him to the dance floor.
"Wanna go dance?" Shawn asked me.
"Sure." I lied, although I didn't really want to. I knew I was going to to be an embarrassment,  stepping ok his feet and stuff. I got off of his lap to follow Cory and Topanga to the dance floor, us dancing to Wannabe by the Spice Girls. Shawn got a hold of my hand,squeezing it. He started to just move around, so I did the same thing. I knew I sucked, but hey, we were having a great time.
Suddenly, a love song came on; it was Time of Your Life by Green Day, one of my favorite songs.
"You okay Jasmine? You seem upset." Shawn noticed.
"Shawn I don't know how to dance." I admitted. Shawn chuckled, then smirked.
"Let me show you then." He decided. He gets a hold of my hand, pulling me closer to him. I noticed surrounding me were all the other couples that had attended the formal were in a position like me and Shawn were.
I wrapped my arms around his neck, with his hold secure around my waist.
I leered myself into his brown chocolate eyes, noticing the resemblance to a puppy. He was one though; lost, but tried to find themselves back to their routine.
He began to shift his feet from left to right. I was scared I would step on his shoes by accident, but all he did was help put me in a place where I didn't. He moved me back and forth, treating me as gentle as possible.
I rested my head on his shoulder, but it wasn't for long. Suddenly the song was over, sadly for some random Spice Girl's song to come on the stereo.
It transitioned the couple's dancing styles from such a soothing haze to an upbeat dance craze.
"I have to go to the restroom Shawn. I'll be right back." I promised him. Shawn nodded and I headed to the bathroom. Of course like I predicted it would be, it was completely rambled with a bunch of preppy girls. Once they saw me, they scoffed.
"I can't believe you went out with trailer trash like Shawn! I mean compare yourself to him. You live in such a high quality house with him in a trailer. Him and his family do such yucky and gross things." I recognized this girl; she warned me about Shawn before.
"Shut up would ya? He's an amazing guy." I snapped at them, causing them to be taken aback, but they fired shots again.
"But he wore a random outfit instead of a tie like the rest of the boy's. Why like someone like that?" She still chatted in a scoffing, snobby tone.
"You don't know what my boyfriend has been through." I snapped at her.
"Who cares! He's still a no good trailer trash rodent. I'm sorry you didn't bother to find better." She said, her and her friends bursting out in laughter.
"And I'm sorry you don't have any good taste in guys." I said to her, offending her instantly. She rolled her eyes and waved her hair back, staring into the mirror.
I came out, and once I saw Shawn he was still sitting there, waiting for me. Before I could head back to him, I felt strong hands grasp a firm hold of me, pulling me out of the dynamism, then out of the school entirely.
❤︎
Author's Note: left at a cliffhanger!
Sorry for these late updates :( I started school and I'm trying to get used of it.
Also here's what Topanga and Jasmine's dresses look like: