Twenty-Nine ➵ J. C

Meeting Shawn's family was definitely different than mine from my childhood. What I could remember was fairly vacant, but I remembered when the time my dad was happier and more lenient. When my mother was still here with us. Here.
Before, my father was providing a successful living for my mom and me. Shawn's family, they managed to have it all together. Maybe they didn't reside in a house when having to worry about bills, if the shower was going to be clean or if the water was going to be crystal clear in a cup. Maybe they didn't. But there was a remaining love that was there. Maybe it was demonstrated differently than other families. But hey, they worked to come here.
As I talked with Shawn's grandmother, I learned lots of things that I haven't discovered before. Even about Shawn himself.
"I'm shocked to see you and Shawn still together... most girls turn down a trailer guy." Shawn's grandmother states.
"It doesn't matter to me. People shouldn't be so stereotypical when it comes to that. It doesn't matter what that person lives in, or where they are from, it matters who they are inside. And Shawn, Shawn is different than everyone I met. He's accepting. That's who he is." I pointed out to her. She smiled a little.
"I had it rough. Having a tough childhood, my family wasn't capable to take care of me, leaving me where I live in where I am. But you're right. It's what makes me what I am. I shouldn't be so insecure about where I live anymore. Hey, you're right. I could be doing worse than where I am now." She agrees, realizing what I said was true.
Our conversation was perpetual, and it made me realize things too. That I should be grateful where I am now. That I found the courage to befriend Shawn. Befriend Cory. Befriend Topanga, and Dawn, and Trinie.
I have people in my life, to help comfort me. Support me when I need it, and certainly support them.
Not until a few days after Thanksgiving, an unforgettable event happened before my very eyes.
"Hey, so I was wondering, if after school you wanted to go to Chubby's and go for a date? I miss hanging out there with you." Shawn says, wrapping his arms around my waist, securing me in his hold, and affectionate as can be. I smirked, as I leaned in closer to him, smirking. Our heads tottered against each other, lips colliding into a kiss. I pulled away so I could answer him.
"Well of course." I murmured. We continued to kiss until Cory interrupted us.
"Okay, okay. Don't rub it in that I'm single." He sighed, causing Shawn and i to pull away from each other. Shawn just chuckled, and wrapped an arm around his best friend's shoulder.
"Hey, Cor. It's okay. You'll get a girl, I promise you."
"Oh who am I kidding, it's worthless! I'm a worthless disgrace! I can't even get a girl to go around to the turnaround with me Shawn."
"Speaking of that..." Shawn pauses him, opening his locker. He pulled out something from out of it, revealing a deep, singled red rose. He turned around, smirking and handed it to me.
"Will you come with me to the Turnaround, Jasmine?" Shawn asked me.
"Oh give me a break!" Cory went to class in annoyance, not saying anything else.
"You bet I will." I answered him calmly as I glanced at him. His dimples were widely spread from his formed smile, the little loops and locks of his hair were swooped in the right direction when ran only a hand through his soft, brown hair. He got a hold of my hand, the warning bell ringing just in time.
After venting rants about Cory's problem with the Turnaround dance, Shawn promised him he'd find him a date. And here we were at Chubby's.
Shawn and I were in the back this time, playing of pool together. Since I didn't play much of it, Shawn had an arm wrapped around my waist, with the other helping me secure my lock on hitting the balls with the stick.
"Steady, steady," Shawn's voice muffling through my ears softly, his breath huffing over my shoulder.
Then at last, I hit it, all the balls circulating into the target holes from around it.
"How did you learn to play like that?" I asked him, impressed. I never had the chance to ask him.
"Well, years of experience with my dad and Uncle Mike. With shooting targets, darts, and them playing bets on pool alongside poker at casinos. We lost, but, it was a fair game." Shawn answers honestly, making me laugh a little.
I went to go sit down at a table, going back to eating my fries.
"I gotta go to the bathroom, will you be alright?" Shawn asked me.
"Yeah, I will." I reassured him.
"You sure?"
"I'm sure, I'll be okay." I promised him, kissing him on the lips quickly, and he leaves. So protective.
I went back to eating my fries, dipping them in ranch. As I was satisfied with the white, gooey substance layering a single fry every time, someone interrupted me with a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, and I couldn't believe who I was. I backed up a little.
"Dad?" I exclaimed, shocked to see him here.
"Jasmine, I'm so sorry. I miss you, please come back to me." His eyes teary. His eyelids weren't even filled with water from before. This seemed like a hoax.
"I don't know about that dad. I'm happy where I am. You caused me so much pain." I said to him, crossing my arms.
He furrowed an eyebrow in confusion. He had a bottle of beer, taking a large sip out of it. I knew he would come out of his shell.
"Jasmine, you're coming home." He ordered, grabbing a hold of my arm.
But I yanked him off.
"No. I'm happy where I am." I repeated, getting harsh with him.
"You don't have a choice."
He then grabs me by the torso, trying to get me to go with him. I tried getting out of his grasp,as I clawed at his arms.
It must of hurt him.
"Ow, you bitch!" He shoved me against the wall, and pulled out a knife from his pocket. And everyone heard him. The people from the other side of the room came, forming a crowd showing concern.
"Let her go!" Someone yelled out.
"I'll kill you before you have a fully functioned, happy life." He muttered. And before the aim someone pushed him out of the way. It was Shawn.
"Get away from her. NOW." Shawn demanded him, as he pulled him up from his tackle. Shawn was now in front of me. I watched in complete horror, and I couldn't choke anything out.
Before my dad could make another strike, someone pulled him out of here.
"I'll be back! I promise you that. And I will get you!" He screamed outrageously. I bursted out crying, tears streaming down. People no longer cared, except for Shawn. He turned around.
"Come here." He whispered, and I feel myself fall into his reach. His hands rubbed my back soothingly in a perpetual manner. He led us towards the table and we sat down together, leaving me soak his shirt up with my tears. After recollecting myself, I pulled away from his hold. Shawn rested his hands on my shoulders, confronting me about what happened with my dad.
"What did he do, why did he do that?"
I wiped away my last tear, struggling to breath properly at first from crying.
Then I spoke:
"I-I don't know. He just c-came here and asked me to come b-back home with him. I declined no several times which made him angry, took it out on me in this room, pulled out a knife and almost tried to kill me." Tears began to roam down my face like a waterfall's stream.
"Oh my god... from now on, I don't even care. I'm standing by you at all. No bathroom breaks. Nothing. I just want you to be safe, and with me being around you, I'll protect you from him.
You don't deserve this." Shawn says, and pulls me in a hug. The way he stroked my hair with his fingers calmed me down so much, and how tenderly he kissed me on my forehead also.
After our date, we went back home and Shawn told his parents everything- which they were quite furious about.
"Ugh, god dammit! That asshole needs to quit it. His fault he lost such a wonderful daughter like you." Shawn's dad bursted, as if into flames.
My heart felt warm when he said that.
That's when I realized: my mother would be sure proud of the decision I made.
No would could ever make the sacrifice to leave their first home and tell them their worst secret to anybody. Not even their boyfriend or girlfriend. Or friends. Or newly made loved ones.
I made a good decision, I told myself.
I have a family who cares for me now.
A place to call home.
When I went to bed with Shawn that night, he wouldn't stop holding onto me tightly, us therefore spooning.
"Shawn, can I talk to you about something?" I asked him, as my back was facing towards him, so I turned around to face him. I gazed into his eyes, his gaze locking the ignition with mine, like a car.
"Of course. What is it?"
I kissed him on the lips, then pulled away.
"What was that for?" He wondered, smirking.
"Everything." I replied.
Shawn's lips creased into a half smile, his cute dimples forming again.
He kissed me back.
"And what was that for?"
"Everything." He mimicked.
I snuggled into his arms again, wrapping my arms around him. I rested my head into his chest, squeezing him tightly.
"I wouldn't know what to do without you." I whispered to him. Before he made a response, we laid together like this for a while, holding onto each other for dear life.
"I wouldn't know what to do without you either," he says,"I love you."
"I love you too."
And we both fell asleep.
︎︎❤︎
Author's note:
Finally an update!
Sorry if I haven't updated in forever. I caught up with schoolwork and tried to update but had extreme writer's block. :/
But now I'm gaining some ideas!
I hope you all enjoyed this, and thanks those of you who have been reading my story and adding them to reasoning lists, I highly appreciate it!